AI hydra26 hd fell in tank!

jtspeedy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After it happened why wasnt one of your first thoughts to call AI support and start a claim? Ya your going to pay a fee but it's better that buying a hole new unit. I mean if you just bought it it would be under warranty. Opening the unit could void the warranty.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After it happened why wasnt one of your first thoughts to call AI support and start a claim? Ya your going to pay a fee but it's better that buying a hole new unit. I mean if you just bought it it would be under warranty. Opening the unit could void the warranty.
Because there's no warranty for any damage caused by water for Ai. But my friend said I can just send it back to him and he'll send it to the distributor if it needs to be fixed. I can't bring it there myself apparently unless in a store owner....

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My friend.....the thing took a one foot splash down into his tank......I don't have first hand knowledge but can't see that being covered under a warranty claim. :)

olecaptainj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear, as I had this happen once.

Unfortunately the light is toast. The reason is that you dropped it in SALTwater. Even if you dry it out the the salt crystals are going to remain if which are highly corrosive and will also short out the board.

Best chance is you would have had to rinse the light in fresh then dry it but even then, odds are pretty much null.

Another trick you can try is plug into a gfci outlet and see it if trips when you power it on. You should NEVER plug it into a regular outlet after it was dunked as that will fry it completely, hence the sizzle. A gfci outlet would have prevented that.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unfortunately the light is toast. The reason is that you dropped it in SALTwater. Even if you dry it out the the salt crystals are going to remain if which are highly corrosive and will also short out the board.

Best chance is you would have had to rinse the light in fresh then dry it but even then, odds are pretty much null.

Another trick you can try is plug into a gfci outlet and see it if trips when you power it on. You should NEVER plug it into a regular outlet after it was dunked as that will fry it completely, hence the sizzle. A gfci outlet would have prevented that.
Im sending it in for repairs. Just dont know how much im gonna have to pay to fix it.... dang. The guy i ordered it from said it may cost me 100-200(38-50usd) to get it fixed.... might have to change the whole board

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's trashed and useless, and he brings it back from the dead and gets it working for only $50 and it lasts awhile.....I'd say you are quite lucky!!

CJS80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first 3 hydras go bad due to corrosion on board. One was able to be fixed and it was about $45 USD. The other 2 had to be replaced not fixed, but they replaced them for $100 off of retail price. One thing I did when I got my new lights was open them up and cover boards with conformal coating. Anyway sorry about your lights.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my first 3 hydras go bad due to corrosion on board. One was able to be fixed and it was about $45 USD. The other 2 had to be replaced not fixed, but they replaced them for $100 off of retail price. One thing I did when I got my new lights was open them up and cover boards with conformal coating. Anyway sorry about your lights.
Did they tell you what had to be fixed? Was it the wifi thingy that had to be changed or the whole board itself?

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you use a spray or brush it on? I just bought three new radion xr30ws and was thinking I may put a coating on them since I have them installed in a canopy. Thanks

This
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008...al+coating&dpPl=1&dpID=41mcAG9pGLL&ref=plSrch

41mcAG9pGLL._SY400_.jpg

Or this?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008..._SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=conformal+coating

41AqtedXUpL._SY400_.jpg

CJS80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Philp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick the whole then in rice.
I agree with Mandi. I dropped a Kessil 360 into the tank, not once but twice within 30 seconds apart. The second time the light went off. I immediately unplugged the light, removed from the water and tossed it into a one gallon ziplock bag filled with rice. I left it there for one week. When I plugged the light into the electric socket, it powered up like nothing ever happened.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update; the ONE and ONLY AI distributor in my country told me that i had to change literally everything. The boards, wifi card and fan. Would cost me 200usd to fix!! He said i can buy a new one at a discounted price so i guess i wont be fixing it anymore. I’ll just buy a new light. Someone wants to buy my one day old spoilt hydra for 40usd so he can use the led lenses. I’ll sell it to him and buy a new hydra. dang i learnt a lesson. NEVER hang your lights above your tank when you havent secured the hanging kit properly! Well in my case the chains snapped but yes, when i get my new hydra I’ll be covering the tank with a piece of particle board incase i drop it again lol

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update; the ONE and ONLY AI distributor in my country told me that i had to change literally everything. The boards, wifi card and fan. Would cost me 200usd to fix!! He said i can buy a new one at a discounted price so i guess i wont be fixing it anymore. I’ll just buy a new light. Someone wants to buy my one day old spoilt hydra for 40usd so he can use the led lenses. I’ll sell it to him and buy a new hydra. dang i learnt a lesson. NEVER hang your lights above your tank when you havent secured the hanging kit properly! Well in my case the chains snapped but yes, when i get my new hydra I’ll be covering the tank with a piece of particle board incase i drop it again lol
Oh yea, the distributor didnt even see or touch my hydra. He just knows its dead as the leds dont even turn on when booting. He said fixing it works but no guarantee on how long it’ll last anyway.

HandsomeBwonderful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just got it, it should still be under warranty. Try emailing AI and tell them it doesn't work. Maybe they will replace it or send you a new circuit board.

HandsomeBwonderful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

salt is corrosive because it attracts the moisture out of the air and stays moist...like when you have a bag of reef crystals and you don't quite close it well enough and is wet the next time you go to use it...

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across this thread:

Last week I was re-doing my mounting locations from the standard Hydra rail to a custom one. Unplugged the first Hydra, started to unscrew it...... and it slipped, fell and landed at the bottom of my tank where it proceeded to take me a good 5-minutes to get it out. I have a deep tank so reaching to the very bottom isn't always easy.

Step 1 - Filled up the kitchen sink with cool water and placed the entire unit in there
Step 2 - Took apart the unit, washing each component individually in tap water throughout
Step 3 - Disconnected the motherboard from the base unit (washed all the connection pins out)
Step 4 - Disconnected the wireless module (I think? Didn't look like a processor but who knows)
Step 5 - Lightly hand dried everything. Used keyboard compressed air to get as much water out as I could

I left all the components on a clean, dry towel for 24 hours. I checked to see if there were any areas still wet (I used to the compressed air), and there were no water droplets. Then I re-assembled and plugged the unit back in.

SHE WORKS!

I was lucky that there was no power to the unit when it fell in, but the unit works 100%. Its been on now and its functioning as normal.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across this thread:

Last week I was re-doing my mounting locations from the standard Hydra rail to a custom one. Unplugged the first Hydra, started to unscrew it...... and it slipped, fell and landed at the bottom of my tank where it proceeded to take me a good 5-minutes to get it out. I have a deep tank so reaching to the very bottom isn't always easy.

Step 1 - Filled up the kitchen sink with cool water and placed the entire unit in there
Step 2 - Took apart the unit, washing each component individually in tap water throughout
Step 3 - Disconnected the motherboard from the base unit (washed all the connection pins out)
Step 4 - Disconnected the wireless module (I think? Didn't look like a processor but who knows)
Step 5 - Lightly hand dried everything. Used keyboard compressed air to get as much water out as I could

I left all the components on a clean, dry towel for 24 hours. I checked to see if there were any areas still wet (I used to the compressed air), and there were no water droplets. Then I re-assembled and plugged the unit back in.

SHE WORKS!

I was lucky that there was no power to the unit when it fell in, but the unit works 100%. Its been on now and its functioning as normal.

I am impressed, nice save:)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back