AI Nero 3 or Nero 5 for 32G biocube

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello guys I was recently thinking about adding a Nero 3 or 5 to my biocube

it’s a Euphyllia dominant tank. I want to create a more random flow. I have a Jeabao SLW-10 but it just pushes out to much flow in a straight constant flow. It doesn’t pulse or wave like it says it does in the tank.
If anyone has a 32G biocube and runs either of these pumps please would love the input.

also helpful with settings y’all run on the pump.

5ADDCABF-BA75-4519-91BD-081CEAF5287B.jpeg 210F0684-5D92-4D25-885D-7A32E9A5B723.jpeg

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with 2 3's. This way, you can get a custom, pulsing flow in your tank. You can always run them on low and increase as needed. These pumps do not pivot that much on the mounts, but they are good, adjustable pumps with different flow patterns.

missourimud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a single 5 in a 66g display, and I have to keep it turned down somewhat or else everything hides. Hammer, torch both retract, fish hide. I have 5 periods during the day and run a consistent 25% over night. During the day the periods are set at random with intensity fluctuations 10-60% on mild, mid and high randomness. Between those periods there is a cycle of pulsing for 5 minutes to give things a stir. I also keep one of those periods at 75% just to give a big stir. Along with a 15 minute pause at feeding.
I would not use a 5 in 32g FWIT

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack .....

For anyone with a nero 3, will it hold to 12mm(just under 1/2") glass? Thinking of throwing one of these down low so I have some flow on the sandbed, but need to know if they will hold on 12mm glass?

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run a single 5 in a 66g display, and I have to keep it turned down somewhat or else everything hides. Hammer, torch both retract, fish hide. I have 5 periods during the day and run a consistent 25% over night. During the day the periods are set at random with intensity fluctuations 10-60% on mild, mid and high randomness. Between those periods there is a cycle of pulsing for 5 minutes to give things a stir. I also keep one of those periods at 75% just to give a big stir. Along with a 15 minute pause at feeding.
I would not use a 5 in 32g FWIT
Ty for the input. I’ll go with the Nero 3. If anything maybe get two but more I read I think one is great size. Just need to figure out schedule now. Maybe same as urs but with the Nero 3. Gotta look around for that.

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one 3 in a 20 cube and it’s plenty and then some, for what it’s worth. I run a variable program maxing about at 50% for most of the day, then blast 70% for a bit to clear out the tank after lights out, then dial back to 10% steady until a little before ‘sunrise’. The variability and ease of setup are a plus for sure IMO.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW.....

IMO the more pumps you can run at lower settings, the more chaotic flow you get, which is what were aiming for.

In my 32G biocube I ran 2 mp10's, and 2 jebao pp4's all turned down low, but they created very random chaotic flow.

I currently run 2 mp10's, 2 jebao pp8's, and a gyre xf350 in my 80G cube. Soon to add a nero 3 for even more flow/chaotic flow.

Even if 1 nero 3 pushes enough water for the biocube, I would go with 2 and just turn them down. Besides pumps that aren't spinning at 100% all the time will last a lot longer then they were designed to be in use for.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One 3 would be enough? I was told to get one 5 or two 3s.
Start with one Nero 3. Put it on the right just under the drain weir (Opposite the return nozzle). The standard return nozzle will act as a constant flow and then the Nero 3 pushes against it in a programmed manner.

Then see how it goes. If you like it and want more flow, then buy another. In that case, you may want to put one on the left panel and one on the right panel (directly opposing) and set them in a parent-child relationship.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run one 3 in a 20 cube and it’s plenty and then some, for what it’s worth. I run a variable program maxing about at 50% for most of the day, then blast 70% for a bit to clear out the tank after lights out, then dial back to 10% steady until a little before ‘sunrise’. The variability and ease of setup are a plus for sure IMO.
Could u message me the schedule pls? May just get two.

RadinJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I was recently thinking about adding a Nero 3 or 5 to my biocube

it’s a Euphyllia dominant tank. I want to create a more random flow. I have a Jeabao SLW-10 but it just pushes out to much flow in a straight constant flow. It doesn’t pulse or wave like it says it does in the tank.
If anyone has a 32G biocube and runs either of these pumps please would love the input.

also helpful with settings y’all run on the pump.

5ADDCABF-BA75-4519-91BD-081CEAF5287B.jpeg 210F0684-5D92-4D25-885D-7A32E9A5B723.jpeg
Hi! I just recently bought a Nero 3 and it is very powerful, i think for your tank a 5 would definitely be too much and 1 3 should do it. If anything start with 1 3 and then if u still wanted more flow which I doubt u would u could get another one. This way there is more of a wider pattern of flow and you could also sync them together!

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi! I just recently bought a Nero 3 and it is very powerful, i think for your tank a 5 would definitely be too much and 1 3 should do it. If anything start with 1 3 and then if u still wanted more flow which I doubt u would u could get another one. This way there is more of a wider pattern of flow and you could also sync them together!
thanks ye i did get one nero 3 2 weeks ago! working perfectly fine. 2 might be better but i have a little pump on the other side helps to make the flow a bit more random even though the other pump just shoots a straight flow.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks ye i did get one nero 3 2 weeks ago! working perfectly fine. 2 might be better but i have a little pump on the other side helps to make the flow a bit more random even though the other pump just shoots a straight flow.
Hello ! I just bought one it’s coming Friday I’m excited lol , I have a 20 cube did you happen to find a good schedule that doesn’t blow everything all over the place lol also where did you place the pump on your tank ?

rayala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just started a BioCube 32 Gallon. New to the whole thing. I have some Zoa's and Kenya Coral. Running a Nero 3 and confused on what schedule and flow I should be running at. Can someone recommend the best settings for a Nero 3 in a BioCube 32. Much appreciated. Thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back