AI Nero why do you suck at quality so bad

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just so frustrated as my Nero’s are kept on going in and out. Now it’s not even working what the heck

Attachments

• IMG_3103.MOV
    28.1 MB
OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t have to do with the settings. It was working fine then it’s now won’t spin. Soaked it with vinegar put it back, spins freely no abstractions.

if you can’t watch the video. Basically, when it’s on it spins, then stop, spins then stop and finally the red blinking light comes on and the pump stops spinning if you get the idea.

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the jabeo versions of this pump.

Right around the year mark they both hit a similar issue where the impeller seemed to be getting bound up.

I did two vinegar soaks, scrubbed with a toothbrush and cleaned off a bit of calcified build up in the impeller housing on one of them.

Both have been going strong again for about a month since then. When they were failing every 24 hours or so before the deep clean.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had intermittent issues with mine stopping too. Not while running, but I'll stop it for tank maintenance and it'll make a horrible high pitched sound, try to start a few times and then error out. It's a pain. I contacted AI and they told me to disassemble and acid soak it (which I do every 1-2 months anyhow) and try to press down on the bearing in the center. It hasn't really helped that much, but fortunately it doesn't just stop on it's own while it's running. Very disappointing for less than a 1 year old pump. If they were more reliable, I would only have nice things to say about them.

I'd love to get the Ecotech pumps, but my CADE tank has a ATO reservoir on the back and the motor sides of the Ecotechs can't be submerged. If they could, I'd switch in a heartbeat just because the Neros annoy me when they occasionally act up.

Reeferadicto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had intermittent issues with mine stopping too. Not while running, but I'll stop it for tank maintenance and it'll make a horrible high pitched sound, try to start a few times and then error out. It's a pain. I contacted AI and they told me to disassemble and acid soak it (which I do every 1-2 months anyhow) and try to press down on the bearing in the center. It hasn't really helped that much, but fortunately it doesn't just stop on it's own while it's running. Very disappointing for less than a 1 year old pump. If they were more reliable, I would only have nice things to say about them.

I'd love to get the Ecotech pumps, but my CADE tank has a ATO reservoir on the back and the motor sides of the Ecotechs can't be submerged. If they could, I'd switch in a heartbeat just because the Neros annoy me when they occasionally act up.
If it’s less than a year old you should get it replaced ( u have 1 year warranty)

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the jabeo versions of this pump.

Right around the year mark they both hit a similar issue where the impeller seemed to be getting bound up.

I did two vinegar soaks, scrubbed with a toothbrush and cleaned off a bit of calcified build up in the impeller housing on one of them.

Both have been going strong again for about a month since then. When they were failing every 24 hours or so before the deep clean.
Good for you but the problem with the Nero, there’s not even a sign of calcification, nothing. But just stop working.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same here. I just wish they last longer. I just post my experience and frustration so that others can make their decisions on spending their hard earned money because they’re not cheap.

xCry0x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good for you but the problem with the Nero, there’s not even a sign of calcification, nothing. But just stop working.
The jebao mlw/slw series pump is nearly identical. - https://a.co/d/dEB9y0Q

When it's broken like this, does the impeller spin freely if you spin it by hand?

Genuinely curious if the issue is the same.

With the jebao it would stop spinning. Restarting the controller would cause it to do the same as your video. It would spin once or twice then throw an error code indicating it was jammed.

If i took the housing apart, the impeller was seemingly bound up. It wouldn't freely spin by hand.

If I pulled the impeller out and then put it back, I could spin it freely by hand and it would work for about 24 hours then break again.

* Only one of my two had any calcification and it was super super minor.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The jebao mlw/slw series pump is nearly identical. - https://a.co/d/dEB9y0Q

When it's broken like this, does the impeller spin freely if you spin it by hand?

Genuinely curious if the issue is the same.

With the jebao it would stop spinning. Restarting the controller would cause it to do the same as your video. It would spin once or twice then throw an error code indicating it was jammed.

If i took the housing apart, the impeller was seemingly bound up. It wouldn't freely spin by hand.

If I pulled the impeller out and then put it back, I could spin it freely by hand and it would work for about 24 hours then break again.

* Only one of my two had any calcification and it was super super minor.
Nope, it spun freely. Nero just suck

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet is to contact AI. Mine made it just past the one year warranty before it stopped working all of a sudden. AI decided to still cover it and sent me a new part to replace. I was a little surprised that it only made it a year before giving out though especially considering AIs reputation for higher end equipment. I totally get the frustration.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet is to contact AI. Mine made it just past the one year warranty before it stopped working all of a sudden. AI decided to still cover it and sent me a new part to replace. I was a little surprised that it only made it a year before giving out though especially considering AIs reputation for higher end equipment. I totally get the frustration.
This is the second one that died on me. The first one as I mentioned above, they wanted $145 to “repair” it. You think somehow magically they will be cheaper or free? NOPE! I am done with them.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 nero 3's here, one just over a year old, the other coming up on 2 years.

I have them both very low in my tank blowing flow across the sandbed, so they suck up sand grains from time to time. They will occasionally stop(bind up), but a couple power cycles usually gets them spinning again. When they do start back up, asternia stars, and brittle stars usually blow out of the motor block.

No other issues then them getting stuck from time to time for me.

If I didn't already own MP's, they would be replaced with nero 5's.

LivingroomDiver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exact same issue here. AI didn't seem to think it was a problem....

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back