AI Prime 16HD and Fusion Nuvo 20 (23x12x12)

scottmin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!

First of all I apologize, I'm sure these answers are here somewhere, but after 3 hours of trolling the forum I thought I'd post, and either someone can link me to a relevant thread or help me out.

TLDR: Need Presets or % guide for a Ai Prime 16HD, or info on how to figure out correct lighting (PAR app suggestions/reliability?)

As the title states, I have a Fusion Nuvo 20, and just purchased a Ai Prime 16HD, to replace the monstrosity Kessel 350W I was rocking (woof, I know.)

Now, having bleached a Torch Coral with the 350, I'm trying to figure out how much light AND what wavelengths to pump into the aquarium. I've figured out PAR is pretty important, but only have an iPhone app, and unsure how reliable it is.

Secondly, not sure how much UV or what frequency I should pump in to reach the desired PAR, because, as best I can figure PAR is a combination of all the spectrums.
Well, how much of each frequency is best, because emulating the Signature Series on the AI website is one thing, but like, how many total watts do I want, or do I just ramp down the ratios until I hit around 250-350 PAR. hence why I'm looking to get a few different presets from similar sized tanks and make a median.

Or, really, I'd just love a guide to figure this stuff out that is detailed enough to help you figure out what you need for your tank, but also doesn't need a masters in Marine Biology and Light Physics to figure out.

There's gotta be a user friendly guide/advice to figuring out how to do this for your specific tank, that doesn't require multiple masters degrees to figure out. I cannot figure out why in the world I can't find it, but after trying and failing I reach out to you kind souls to help an idiot on his endeavor.

Best of luck, thanks in advanced, apologies for what I'm sure are typos and lack of clarity, but here's a picture of my tank! It's about 8 months old!

IMG_3068.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically just max out the first 4 channels, put white to your desired level, use green to whatever level is visually appealing, and use little to no red.

You can see that if you do this your line up with the spectral graphs for chlorophyll a and c.

OP
OP
scottmin

scottmin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically just max out the first 4 channels, put white to your desired level, use green to whatever level is visually appealing, and use little to no red.

You can see that if you do this your line up with the spectral graphs for chlorophyll a and c.

Thanks for the advice, and being generous with your time for me!

Ok, so, maybe I'm being paranoid.... but I have already fried a torch coral, and have an A-Can who's not too hot right now. (water quality related, don't let friends feed tanks when you're out of town, kids.)

I have no SPS and all LPS.....I understand that I should be reading about 250-300 PAR, and my handy iPhone reading says that's what I'm getting (for however accurate that is)

I currently set it up to be at:
UV 66
Violet 34
Royal 53
Blue 25
Green 40
Red 26 (Guess I need to change this)
Moonlight 0
Cool White 16

Moving to a bit more white in the late afternoon, and then slowly fading out the white all together, before ramping the whole thing down.

As best as I can tell my PAR readings are healthy across the board, (according to the app) but that's a LONG way from maxing out the first 4 channels. I'm only putting in a total of about 16-18Watts.

Thoughts?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming that you just got this light, but something you need to remember is not to tinker with the settings too much. Corals are amazingly adaptable creatures if you just let the, as for settings, go to the WWC website and download the program they use on their 20g tank. Adjust the time to your preference (I.e. Their setting went on at 8am and I changed it to noon) and leave it alone.

jeffmr4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't max out any channels on a tank that size. (13" deep) I found the ideal settings for the EcoTech XR15, which an AI recommended reefer and a video on BRS translated for an AI Prime and then adapted them to my tank by reducing them proportionately.

The settings for the sample tank (which I think was 30" deep with the light between 8 to 12" over the water) were,

119 . 116 . 79 . 80 . 4 . 4 . 19. (UV to White)

I divided those by 3 since my tank is 10" deep (my light is 12" above the surface) and came up with

35 . 34 . 23 . 24 . 1 . 1 . 5.

If you're a little uncertain I'd underestimate a little. You can always bring it up some later.

For me I have a ramp up and down of an hour within an 8 am to 5 pm timeframe.

I will also mention that this was for an AI Prime HD so I'm not sure if this would be absolutely the same for the 16.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scottmin

scottmin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this! That looks honestly close to where I ended up to be honest!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is your light mounted. You can definitely max out the first four on that size as the AI prime HD if it is not mounted high.. LPS should really have no more than 150 par (however this can vary depending on the species, alk, and flow rate). At a height of 24 inches from the sand bed, the center of the tank gets 100 par with every channel maxed out. However, you will not be using 100% every channel, and the white is going to be contributing a lot to their estimate. Therefore, I would believe that you could safely max out the blues. If you are concerned, you can rent a par meter. In reality, the violet and royal blue are the most important, so at least have those at max.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is at 24 inches off the surface off the water
1591072412546.png

jeffmr4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that chart and would love to increase my light intensity but my real world experience is that if I go above what I mentioned above, my corals don't like it. I have softies and LPS. The settings also were the AB+ setting for the EcoTech XR15 translated for a AI Prime HD.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to add that 100% everything at 12 inches above the water on your tank would imply a maximum of 200 par in the center of your tank if the light was 24 inches from the sandbed. As I said, this would not be realistically your par level since you won't have whites, red, and green maxed out. Therefore, your peak par would probably be around the maximum of LPS in general. Again if you are worried, you can lower the 1st and 4th channel a little lower than 2 and 3.

OP
OP
scottmin

scottmin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is your light mounted. You can definitely max out the first four on that size as the AI prime HD if it is not mounted high.. LPS should really have no more than 150 par (however this can vary depending on the species, alk, and flow rate). At a height of 24 inches from the sand bed, the center of the tank gets 100 par with every channel maxed out. However, you will not be using 100% every channel, and the white is going to be contributing a lot to their estimate. Therefore, I would believe that you could safely max out the blues. If you are concerned, you can rent a par meter. In reality, the violet and royal blue are the most important, so at least have those at max.

Thank you for this! Although it seems the others here seem to have a different opinion and tend to suggest much lower? I don't mean to single you out but do you have any thoughts as to why you suggestions are significantly higher?

Thank you again so much for taking the time!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this! Although it seems the others here seem to have a different opinion and tend to suggest much lower? I don't mean to single you out but do you have any thoughts as to why you suggestions are significantly higher?

Thank you again so much for taking the time!

If we think of the common range for lps would be 100-200 (with ;ps rarely being in 200 par). In this scenario, you would have a maximum of 200 par at the top of your tank in the center with your lights 12 inches above the water. Again, we are not going to be using 100 white, red, and green, so this number is an overshoot meaning that your hot spot will be less than 200 par. With those at 0 you are using 10/16 of the power available, almost half of the possible power (unless you move the LEDs above 100%). This means that you can place the higher light lps in the center with no problem, and spread out the moderate light ones with ease.

OP
OP
scottmin

scottmin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we think of the common range for lps would be 100-200 (with ;ps rarely being in 200 par). In this scenario, you would have a maximum of 200 par at the top of your tank in the center with your lights 12 inches above the water. Again, we are not going to be using 100 white, red, and green, so this number is an overshoot meaning that your hot spot will be less than 200 par. With those at 0 you are using 10/16 of the power available, almost half of the possible power (unless you move the LEDs above 100%). This means that you can place the higher light lps in the center with no problem, and spread out the moderate light ones with ease.

Thank you so much for this!

Back