AI prime 16HD or the NEW Orbit R24

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys im looking into getting a new light setup on my reef
looking at puck lights found out orbit released their new model supposedly with some huge par ratings...
AI Prime 16HD
Orbit R24 ( new ) what would you guys recommend
alot of data on the primes due to the customization

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get the AI Prime. It’s slightly more powerful and you can overclock the channels you’re using if you’re not using some of the others (so for example if you keep the red channel at 10% you can overclock the UV to 130%). Plus it’s been in the market longer and has a proven track record.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d get the AI Prime. It’s slightly more powerful and you can overclock the channels you’re using if you’re not using some of the others (so for example if you keep the red channel at 10% you can overclock the UV to 130%). Plus it’s been in the market longer and has a proven track record.
from the looks of the info on orbits website the R24 looks twice as strong?

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the looks of the info on orbits website the R24 looks twice as strong?
I haven’t used the AI prime so I’m not sure if its stronger than the R24, but I’m satisfied for now after 2 weeks of use. Before that I was using a single strip of the orbit marine. I saw no growth on my softie, my coralline died on rocks. Massive hair algae on my power heads even though I cleaned em. Water being constant cloudy. With these light I saw growth on my softies. Tank cleared up. Coralline seems to be bouncing back.

youngfish23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The primes have more customizability options for creating the schedule and controlling each channel. There is also already a lot of information on what settings to use.

Mortgaged Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating the Orbit R24 for my mixed macro/LPS tank. I like the 2UV LEDs for the potential of killing algae (compared to the AI prime 1 UV LED). I also like the loop system. However, AI does have the Nero 3 which I really like the small footprint. Decisions, decisions lol.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating the Orbit R24 for my mixed macro/LPS tank. I like the 2UV LEDs for the potential of killing algae (compared to the AI prime 1 UV LED). I also like the loop system. However, AI does have the Nero 3 which I really like the small footprint. Decisions, decisions lol.
Hey bud i got a r24 it’s mehh
The app is trash imo it does it’s joke just gotta keep resetting it some times it freezes up
The colors are very standard i have the prime HD i think it’s better light more power
I ran the r24 on full all channels max which will promote algae growth due to so much red and green color but that’s the only way to reach peak pars on it and the heat coming from the light isn’t as warm compared to the prime you can adjust dropping power of red and green and pushing into blue purple let’s say producing slot of heat.

Mortgaged Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud i got a r24 it’s mehh
The app is trash imo it does it’s joke just gotta keep resetting it some times it freezes up
The colors are very standard i have the prime HD i think it’s better light more power
I ran the r24 on full all channels max which will promote algae growth due to so much red and green color but that’s the only way to reach peak pars on it and the heat coming from the light isn’t as warm compared to the prime you can adjust dropping power of red and green and pushing into blue purple let’s say producing slot of heat.
Great feedback thank you much!

clevebill71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There also coming out with a 90 watt version watch reefbum video he talks with rep about the lights

PITA TANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using 2 r24 on my tank with great success. Not as adjustable as prime but they are more powerful. I use ai prime also. Both are good lights.

clevebill71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These lights do not have Uv only lights I know of that have it are Red Sea and kessil the human eye can not see uv it’s false advertisement the leds in the fixture are violet

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back