AI Prime 16HD - Saxby settings on 10 gallon Waterbox

Weebay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added some corals to my 10 gallon Waterbox about one week ago and have been running the David Saxby settings at full power since I set up my tank. After doing some digging about whether or not to run at a reduced intensity I haven't really been able to reach a good conclusion. So far the corals all seem very healthy and seem to be doing very well but I'm worried that I should be running with reduced settings. I just created a new preset with the same settings but running at 66% of full power.

My questions are, first off, is this even a legitimate concern? Do I actually need to run reduced intensity?

Current peak power on original Saxby settings is:

1. UV 52%
2. Violet 62%
3. RY 99%
4. B 94%
5. G 7%
6. DR 10%
7. CW 47%

This results in an overall output of 36W.

My second question is, if I should reduce the settings is it okay to do it all at once? It seems like the acclimation mode only allows for a gradual increase in output with no option to slowly reduce output over time.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything is healthy and doing well, then I wouldn't look at any drastic changes. When I change my light intensity I'll typically try and limit it to 5% per week (max). A small adjustment can be made after lights out without any issue with the corals adapting the next day.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added some corals to my 10 gallon Waterbox about one week ago and have been running the David Saxby settings at full power since I set up my tank. After doing some digging about whether or not to run at a reduced intensity I haven't really been able to reach a good conclusion. So far the corals all seem very healthy and seem to be doing very well but I'm worried that I should be running with reduced settings. I just created a new preset with the same settings but running at 66% of full power.

My questions are, first off, is this even a legitimate concern? Do I actually need to run reduced intensity?

Current peak power on original Saxby settings is:

1. UV 52%
2. Violet 62%
3. RY 99%
4. B 94%
5. G 7%
6. DR 10%
7. CW 47%

This results in an overall output of 36W.

My second question is, if I should reduce the settings is it okay to do it all at once? It seems like the acclimation mode only allows for a gradual increase in output with no option to slowly reduce output over time.

BRS has a video discussing PAR with an AI prime over a 10g cube, but that is with AB+ settings. I run an AB+ setting on Saxby schedule at around 66% over a 10g with mostly LPS corals, but also a clam at the top of the rocks.

My problem with seeing "how the corals are doing" when they are recent additions is that they always seem to be doing OK until they take a turn for the worse--given, too much light seems to be apparent quickly, as I've seen a pavona bleach in a day. But the BRS video is informative in terms of finding a good target PAR setting. Great light for a 10g cube.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back