Ai Prime for a 20gal long - When should I start lighting my aquarium and what settings does R2R suggest?

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again.

2nd post yay! I'm getting my Ai Prime 16HD on Monday and I've got a few questions. Since my aquarium is in its VERY early stages of even cycling I do not know if it is wise to stick it on there and set up a schedule immediately. Like I said in my previous post that I have about 3pds of live rock in the tank and from R2R's suggestion will be adding DrTims later on today. Obviously, I will be lighting the tank when I start to introduce coral and livestock.

*Question1*
Should I set up the AI Prime and have it on a schedule and will it help the critters of the liverock reproduce/make my dry rock live? If no, then when would be a great time to add it?

*Question2*
What kind of schedule does R2R recommend for a 20gal long tank? Should I just follow Karen Vazquez or does someone have better settings for a 20Long?

---------------------------------------------

*Bonus Question!*
Chaeto or Dragons breath? My local aquarium shop suggests Dragons Breath because Chaeto gets everywhere when cutting it down? What's your experience?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Keep the light off at first. Turn it on when you want you first coral. If the room is dark and the fish need light to see, just run white at lowest setting.

2. I prefer maxed out settings on UV, V, RB, B; little to no red maybe 5% if that; whatever white adn red you find pleasing. I prefer the mnaxed out blues for the majority of the photoperiod, with white on for the middle section for the fish.

3. Either macro algae works. Just make sure to get proper lighting and potentially supplement trace elements.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Keep the light off at first. Turn it on when you want you first coral. If the room is dark and the fish need light to see, just run white at lowest setting.

2. I prefer maxed out settings on UV, V, RB, B; little to no red maybe 5% if that; whatever white adn red you find pleasing. I prefer the mnaxed out blues for the majority of the photoperiod, with white on for the middle section for the fish.

3. Either macro algae works. Just make sure to get proper lighting and potentially supplement trace elements.
Would I be adding one of those algae now or wait until I'm ready for my first fish? If I add now, should I put on my AI Prime then?

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be adding one of those algae now or wait until I'm ready for my first fish? If I add now, should I put on my AI Prime then?

Is it display macro or for a refugium? I would wait till you get your first fish.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DAWREEFER

DAWREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it display macro or for a refugium? I would wait till you get your first fish.
Well, if it's Chaeto it will be in the 2nd chamber of my three chambers not in display, and if it's dragon's breath it will be on display. I'm trying to find out which one is best for my tank. I'm leaning towards Dragon's Breath though.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if it's Chaeto it will be in the 2nd chamber of my three chambers not in display, and if it's dragon's breath it will be on display. I'm trying to find out which one is best for my tank. I'm leaning towards Dragon's Breath though.

Is the chamber you refer to in a sump or in an all in one.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back