AI Prime HD reliability?

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your experience on using AI Prime? How reliable the light to you guys? Besides basic fan cleaning and running on a 8-10 hours schedule, how reliable the light will be? Can it at least make it past year 1 or 3 or more?
I want to make sure before I am deciding to buy it. I am still debating buying used or new? I recently bought an used one locally but able to return it since the unit is flickering and making weird sound.
I am thinking, maybe just to spend the extra $50-$70 and buy new for peace of mind. Then again, how reliable they are? What is they repair cost typically run? Ie replacing the fan, the LED board, the main board?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the HD primes for 2 years and ran them high with no issues. Got the 16’s on release last year and they are still flawless. Have been very happy. I have 3 16’s I just clean the screens once a month

OP
OP
thewire

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the HD primes for 2 years and ran them high with no issues. Got the 16’s on release last year and they are still flawless. Have been very happy. I have 3 16’s I just clean the screens once a month
Wait...there is a AI HD and AI HD 16? I thought they are the same lol

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeh im running some AI HD 16 for about 6 months with my set schedule havent touched them since, solid units so far lol

OP
OP
thewire

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeh im running some AI HD 16 for about 6 months with my set schedule havent touched them since, solid units so far lol
Yea i m debating now if I want to buy new or get used? A lot of the used ones I see for sale are over 1-2 years old for $140-$175. Not sure if worth the saving

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i m debating now if I want to buy new or get used? A lot of the used ones I see for sale are over 1-2 years old for $140-$175. Not sure if worth the saving
yeh honestly for 200 bucks you can get new 16 hd online just skip the hassle of any chance of problems and purchase new lol

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your experience on using AI Prime? How reliable the light to you guys? Besides basic fan cleaning and running on a 8-10 hours schedule, how reliable the light will be? Can it at least make it past year 1 or 3 or more?
I want to make sure before I am deciding to buy it. I am still debating buying used or new? I recently bought an used one locally but able to return it since the unit is flickering and making weird sound.
I am thinking, maybe just to spend the extra $50-$70 and buy new for peace of mind. Then again, how reliable they are? What is they repair cost typically run? Ie replacing the fan, the LED board, the main board?

I loved mine. had two of them on my Red Sea Reefer 250 before I got my 525XL, now I run three Hydra 32s. Never had issues with them. I also currently run an AI Prime Fuge light as well, great little unit. I love the AI app, super easy to control.

OP
OP
thewire

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still not sold on AI. I mean looking on the housing, I am afraid salt creep into motherboard inside and will cause damage in future.
If I am going to get one, I will probably buy new with credit card (extended warranty from credit card to 2 years) instead of buying use for a small saving with no warranty

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still not sold on AI. I mean looking on the housing, I am afraid salt creep into motherboard inside and will cause damage in future.
If I am going to get one, I will probably buy new with credit card (extended warranty from credit card to 2 years) instead of buying use for a small saving with no warranty

I had two AI Primes for over a year. Never had a problem. The screen above the fan is removable so you can wash it in the sink and get all the dust off, and then pop it back on.

Topher38

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had 2 ai prime hds, love the look on them. however, hated the software, and around the three year mark, my lights started to flicker etc. ALSO after the one blew up, i switched to viparspectra, my corals look MUCH better. maybe i had wrong spectrum for the corals before? i know par was good. but i wouldnt ever go with AI prime again

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had 2 ai prime hds, love the look on them. however, hated the software, and around the three year mark, my lights started to flicker etc. ALSO after the one blew up, i switched to viparspectra, my corals look MUCH better. maybe i had wrong spectrum for the corals before? i know par was good. but i wouldnt ever go with AI prime again

Three years on a $200 light is pretty dang good man. Especially with how fast our technology in the aquarium world is changing. You can't honestly tell me it looked better with a $50 light.

Topher38

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three years on a $200 light is pretty dang good man. Especially with how fast our technology in the aquarium world is changing. You can't honestly tell me it looked better with a $50 light.
the corals like the cheap light better, my eyes do not like the cheap light better.

OP
OP
thewire

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering supposedly led has a L70 of 30k-50k hours. 3 years is a really short time considering we only run 8-10 hours per day .

Back