AI Prime HD Setting for a Newbie

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I know this topic has been asked a thousand times, trust me I read quite a few last evening. However I am still a bit confused on what route to take, best setups, etc. I've seen the signature files on AI's website (Saxby Settings etc), and BRS's AB+ settings on their youtube video. I've also read about variation in intensity throughout the day (zig zag pattern) and something called a Pirates of Caribbean setting, whatever that is.

Anyway.................... I'm a noob with this light, but I wan't positive results with it. Color and Growth, like everyone else. I'm coming from a Kessil A80 that had 15 Watts of power so I'm also trying not to fry my corals. I want to stick to the Jason Fox idea of keeping all blues, but not sure what the best results would be on a Innovative Marine NUVO 10 tank.

So anyone with any insight would awesome! Dumb it down for this idiot. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I tried all the ones you mentioned except for the Pirates?? I ended up settling on the Saxby setting, but eliminated the red and green, and a lot of the white. Looks great, corals are doing well. One thing about this light is its super easy (and tempting) to mess with settings. Resist!

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just programmed my own schedule on my 55 litre mixed reef never even tried any of the schedules out there

Here is my schedule at midday to show the maximum values of each colour
Screenshot_20190814-194335_myAI.jpg

Giving a crisp white look like this photo
IMG_20190722_233542.jpg

And the blue ramping up and down phase
IMG_20190721_222609.jpg

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I tried all the ones you mentioned except for the Pirates?? I ended up settling on the Saxby setting, but eliminated the red and green, and a lot of the white. Looks great, corals are doing well. One thing about this light is its super easy (and tempting) to mess with settings. Resist!

Currently I am not running any Red, Green, or White values. Yes the settings part is going to be something I will have to resist fiddling with daily.

I just programmed my own schedule on my 55 litre mixed reef never even tried any of the schedules out there

Here is my schedule at midday to show the maximum values of each colour
Screenshot_20190814-194335_myAI.jpg

Giving a crisp white look like this photo
IMG_20190722_233542.jpg

And the blue ramping up and down phase
IMG_20190721_222609.jpg

Thank you! Great looking tank BTW.

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AB+ spectrum the WWC uses is really nice, best for coral growth.

You pick the ramp up but basically it is
UV -119%
Violet -116$
Royal -79%
Blue -80%
Green -4%
Red -4%
White -19%

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the saxby schedule for about a month now and I really like the results.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AB+ spectrum the WWC uses is really nice, best for coral growth.

You pick the ramp up but basically it is
UV -119%
Violet -116$
Royal -79%
Blue -80%
Green -4%
Red -4%
White -19%

Good deal. Coming from a 15 watt light I'm not sure I should go that high on my intensities. Feel like I would cook my corals. Right?

I've been running the saxby schedule for about a month now and I really like the results.

Nice! I'm hoping one of these will be what works for my tank.

nden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal. Coming from a 15 watt light I'm not sure I should go that high on my intensities. Feel like I would cook my corals. Right?

Nice! I'm hoping one of these will be what works for my tank.
You can use the acclimation mode setting to reduce the light intensity. It will gradually increase to what you have set over the duration you select. Corals can adjust to most light intensities given enough time to get used to it.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the acclimation mode setting to reduce the light intensity. It will gradually increase to what you have set over the duration you select. Corals can adjust to most light intensities given enough time to get used to it.

I will set that up tonight! Thanks

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back