AI Prime hd vs Hydra hd

Discussion in 'Reef LED Lights' started by Nathan Froehner, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Nathan Froehner

Nathan Froehner Member

Quick question. I️ have a Red Sea reefer 250. 36x20x20. I️ want to do 2 maybe 3 AI Prime hd. Is 2 Prime hd basically the same as one Hydra 26 hd? Or would you get more spread with the two Prime HD’s ?

Tags:

2. ReefLEDLights

ReefLEDLights Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

As the USA manufacturer of the Sirius XTC and XTC DIY Kit we do not recommend either based on their intensity and limited 410-420nm LEDs

Two of our Sirius XTC will give you More PAR and Penetration than the AI. With your tank you should see over 250 PAR on the sand Bed which is what Clams and Carpet Anemones

unnamed.jpg

If you have any questions about our Sirius XTC or its DIY version please feel free to contact us.

Cheers

Bill

3. Palyzoa

Palyzoa Well-Known Member R2R Supporter ETRC Member R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

I think you would get a little better spread with 2 Prime HD's. I would go with the Primes. Plus, they Dropped on price recently for black Friday. Check out Bulkreefsupply.

4. Cherub

Cherub Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

where's the thumbs down...

As for the OP - The primes are singles of what are in the hydras so getting three of them would be better then 1 hydra. I am unsure if they are wifi though with the app? The app is a nice feature

Erick Armanii and Z3speed4me like this.
  5. Z3speed4me

Z3speed4me Active Member

Agreed with triple prime over single 26. Two 26's would be optimal; I'd bet "someone" has them for 15% off this friday so keep an eye out!

Tuffyyyyy likes this.
  6. Reef 450

Reef 450 Member

I have 3 hydra 26 on my tank and it’s a reefer 450. Def go with primes instead of the 26 for ur tank

7. ReefLEDLights

Here is a little info I thought we should share concerning Reef Lighting...

First you must consider your Captive Reef Ecosystem... Deep Water, Shallow Water, LPS, SPS, Softies the list goes on and it's rather complicated to create the best environment.

I will only focus shortly on light and proper intensity.

If you want to go with fed LPS and Softies the AI is fine. For SPS and Maxima Clams on the sand bed it's doable for a tank your depth but would recommend more with a true sunrise and sunset. A true Sunrise and Sunset optimizes/minimizes electricity consumption and provides a natural photosynthetic process which does not need 12 hours at 100% intensity.

The 400 to 460nm range is the primary photosynthetic range for corals. The AI is weak in the 400-440nm so acclimate the Blue to at least 100% I say at least because unlike our Sirius XTC it may not be able to deliver 200 Par to the bottom of the tank dialed back.

These Graphs may help when deciding the intensity of colors greater than 470nm
    PhotoPenetration.jpg

PhotoWavelength_zps29db24cb-300x183.jpg PhotoPigments-300x186.jpg

Note that nuisance algae thrive in the shallow reef... A spectrum greater than 550nm will promote their growth. Our personal studies of tidal pools found thousands of hermit crabs feasting on this nuisance algae that has plagued all of us at one time or another.

Keeping a clean nutrient free system is good to control this but not beneficial to some corals... Cleanup Critters is an answer but also a solution that needs constant monitoring and upkeep.

I would highly recommend you max the Blue and only add Red and Green to taste to complement looks to start. As your Reef matures and nutrient balance is maintained then you can experiment with more of the greater than 550nm spectrum.

20" Depth you may be good with an AI but for tanks 30" and deeper I would highly recommend our Sirius XTC

Cheers

Bill

8. Kitarro

Kitarro New Member

Really shouldn’t be hijacking for advertising...
    Anywho the Prime HDs would definitely have a better spread than a single 26 but again if the budget allows two 26s would be perfect. As for par, you wouldn’t need a par of 200 at the sandbed as it would lead to heavy bleaching, lower pars and more flow have been proven to be better, it also depends tremendously on what you want in your tank.
    Happy Reefing!

9. pirate2876

pirate2876 Valuable Member

It's the sponsors page. I think OP is confused where to post lighting questions.

10. ReefLEDLights

Thanks

We are here to answer questions about our Sirius XTC and DIY Kits.

Also we've been doing LEDs for close to 10 years and dont mind sharing our knowledge.

Bill

11. Zagreus

Zagreus Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Great news check out BRS TV on AI primes they've done all the work for you already And put it into a video.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vide...lluminate-a-sps-reef-tank-brstv-investigates/

12. Yati

Yati Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I agree with you on the goosenecks I have 4 HD 26's and initially I had the goosenecks and I called AI and told them I wasn't comfortable with them over my tank. I traded them in for a the HMS light rail kit and I love it. I didn't opt for the hanging kit due to the fact that I rent so the light rail kit is a great option... they also offered a recommended light setting but I just run a standard 14k so I didnt need it but I did ask about the height from water and they said 7-10" from the water so I have mine 7" from my water being that I a SPS dominate and my corals love it!

Draft saved Draft deleted