• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

AI Prime or Kessil a80

slee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I’m looking to purchase a used AI Prime or Kessil a80 (with mount). Any suggestions for other types of affordable lights are welcomed (college student on a budget).

Located in Washington State

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydra lights are all going at a lower price since AI introduced the new models: 32 and 64 and I think a new prime as well. So buyers market right now on those awsome older model lights
Also, if you can pull up 200-250, you could get a nice used Kessil a360we. Those also came down a lot since the Kessil 360X model came out.
I personally like the kessil over AI for the shimmer and no need for wifi.

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, I’ll take a look at them!
Not sure of the rules here so mods feel free to delete this, but I do have a kessil a360we with the gooseneck mount, 90 degree adapter, and spectral controller for sale that I would let go of for 300 shipped if its in your budget.

OP
OP
S

slee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the rules here so mods feel free to delete this, but I do have a kessil a360we with the gooseneck mount, 90 degree adapter, and spectral controller for sale that I would let go of for 300 shipped if its in your budget.
i appreciate that but currently $300 is a bit out of my budget. thank you tho!

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i appreciate that but currently $300 is a bit out of my budget. thank you tho!
I understand. I actually have a hypargero light too that I’d sell cheap, but you’d be better off with a new one since I modded the mount for mine to fit standard rimmed tanks. Honestly for a broke college kid (trust me I’ve been there) I’d pick up one of those hypargero lights and be done with it till you can afford your dream setup. For 70 bucks it’s a no brainer, the spectrum is really really nice, very pleasing to the eye, maybe as good as the kessils im using now. And certainly Way better than anything else in that budget range. Plus it grew corals for me and many others like crazy. I also like the touch controls and the simplicity of it. I think inappropriate reefer set up his 10 gallon nano tank with one, check it out on his YouTube Channel. the price is definitely right, you could always use it for a year or 2 and sell it for like 30 bucks less than you bought it for. Honestly I think the controlability of the ai lights is overrated and a potential downfall. Lighting in this hobby is 90% designed to sell at bloated pricing to reefers and 10% to growing coral IMO. Now that I have a bigger budget, I found spending 3x as much got me a fancy brand name and a sleek housing, but the same results with my corals.

OP
OP
S

slee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. I actually have a hypargero light too that I’d sell cheap, but you’d be better off with a new one since I modded the mount for mine to fit standard rimmed tanks. Honestly for a broke college kid (trust me I’ve been there) I’d pick up one of those hypargero lights and be done with it till you can afford your dream setup. For 70 bucks it’s a no brainer, the spectrum is really really nice, very pleasing to the eye, maybe as good as the kessils im using now. And certainly Way better than anything else in that budget range. Plus it grew corals for me and many others like crazy. I also like the touch controls and the simplicity of it. I think inappropriate reefer set up his 10 gallon nano tank with one, check it out on his YouTube Channel. the price is definitely right, you could always use it for a year or 2 and sell it for like 30 bucks less than you bought it for. Honestly I think the controlability of the ai lights is overrated and a potential downfall. Lighting in this hobby is 90% designed to sell at bloated pricing to reefers and 10% to growing coral IMO. Now that I have a bigger budget, I found spending 3x as much got me a fancy brand name and a sleek housing, but the same results with my corals.
im glad you mentioned this one cause i was leaning towards it. ive read good reviews about their coral growth but i noticed lots of reviews that stated after a year the light either stopped working or a few led’s burnt out. have you had any of these issues?

Rubblereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im glad you mentioned this one cause i was leaning towards it. ive read good reviews about their coral growth but i noticed lots of reviews that stated after a year the light either stopped working or a few led’s burnt out. have you had any of these issues?
I ran mine for about 9 months so I can’t comment on that. It seemed to be pretty well reviewed when I got mine. For the price I think it’s worth the gamble

Cque2222

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could give you 250 for that

Simplyorange

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kessil 160 with mount available

IMG_4347.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back