AI prime update doesn't let UV go above 131% .. What to do about BRS lighting?

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My latest update caps off the UV and Violet at 131%

BRS recommends them at 166%, royal and blue at 125%, green/red at 10% and white at 65%

Can you just scale all the numbers off 131% as the max and have the same spectrum?

For example, UV and violet at 131, royal and blue at 99, green/red at 8, and white at 51?

Thanks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if that's because the lenses keep melting on the uv.

BobbyOtto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it. BRS isn't the end all be all for lighting, UV that high will give you plenty of light pen and PAR. Remember they are paid to use certain products and promote them, it doesn't mean they are 100% correct in the things they do and say

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pirates of the Caribbean settings have both uv and blue at the same level.

I have both maxed

If be maintaining the BRS ratio makes you not get enough PAR then id make sure yiu get the right par level first.

If yiu look at the spectrum graph, the biggest hump is the blue, the UV humpnis much smaller so a diff in the % isn't that big a deal to overall PAR. I think the only reason BRS went to that max UV ratio is to compensate for the blue led that AI uses. I dont remember the exact numbers but I thought the AI royal blues peak spectrum us about 25 - 30 nm longer (less blue/purple) than the ati lab "gold standard" see pic below. White line is the ATI spectrum

20210614_101028.jpg

Honestly, with the small difference in the spectrum, as long as you keep the par sufficient and keep it stable, your corals will be fine

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it. BRS isn't the end all be all for lighting, UV that high will give you plenty of light pen and PAR. Remember they are paid to use certain products and promote them, it doesn't mean they are 100% correct in the things they do and say
Can I like, give this a million thumbs up?

Want a tip? Turn off UV only and run violet only after you have royals maxed. It will save heat and wear and wear and tear on the unit. You can't see violet anyways, its of little consequence in terms of PAR, and violet isn't much better. These wavelengths were practically non existent on most reef halides and pretty much non existent before the chinese figured out how to make short wavelength 2watt LEDs that mostly go in DJ / party lights.

I'm still trying to figure out why there's just a couple 2watt UV / violet LEDs on these fixtures, but 40+ watts of 450nm Cree Royal, but the graphs being posted show 420-400nm as being equivelant in terms of radiometric flux. Yeah...pull my finger.

Last, I don't recall ever taking a vote that ATI Blues were the litmus standard for reef lighting.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if that's because the lenses keep melting on the uv.
Mine are melting and I only use 119% on the UV and 116% on the violet. Takes them about 6 months to melt. A new lens from AI is only $3.00 plus shipping which is the killer. I buy 10 lens at a time to spread the shipping cost out. On a bright note you have to take the whole light a part to replace the lens so it's a good time to clean out all the dust.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back