AI Primes over a 48" tank - cross bracing issue?

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48x12x12 tank. I currently have metal halides over it, but have been looking into LEDs to help on the temp and also electricity bills (that's my excuse to my wife and I'm sticking to it). Someone near me is selling two AI Prime HDs. I think this would be enough light, but I'm worried about the bracing on my tank. They are acrylic, so light would shine through it, but I would imagine that would cause some PAR depletion. The braces are spaced evenly (obviously) so they are right where I would mount the lights, I would imagine.

I know that they are always there so they would always block SOME light, but I figure with stuff like the halides or a longer strip LED fixture, there is plenty of light going around them. With the Primes, they are small and would possible focus too much right on there?

Do you think this would cause issues, or would the 2 primes be fine? Let me know what you think!

Here is a picture so you can see the bracing I'm talking about.

IMG_5341.JPG

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 AI Primes is way too little light. You would want 4, place them in each open ares around the braces, and shadowing from the braces should be minimized.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow those braces are in odd spots. As far as straight coverage goes, you'd be pushing it with 2 (and I know we're even talking about my lights lol), but could definitely get the job done with 3 if it weren't for those braces. You could do like 2x AI Prime and a single (or double) 48" T5 Bulb setup.

Also I'm not sure about the validity of Primes just being for Nano tanks. This is a pretty good video that shows their potential in a group:

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow those braces are in odd spots. As far as straight coverage goes, you'd be pushing it with 2 (and I know we're even talking about my lights lol), but could definitely get the job done with 3 if it weren't for those braces. You could do like 2x AI Prime and a single (or double) 48" T5 Bulb setup.

Also I'm not sure about the validity of Primes just being for Nano tanks. This is a pretty good video that shows their potential in a group:

I meant more in regards for coverage, not potential. Primes are awesome lights, I am a huge fan of all AI lights. I wouldn’t push primes much past 1ft of coverage. Not sure of OPs tank, but from the pic looks like a 5ft tank?

OP
OP
JonoB

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean technically my tank is a nano...its only 30 gallons. I figured it being only 12 inches deep I could get away with two primes. So even with 3 do you think the braces would cause issues?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back