Aiding Spawning and Survival of young Clean up Crew?

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We see posts frequently of snail spawning, Cerith Snail eggs, hermit crab's spawning, eggs on our cleaner shrimp.

I was wondering, what is there we can do to help encourage spawning - in snails I have heard quick temperature changes and dosing of silicates can encourage spawning? How can we help the young survive?

I've seen people talk about young hermit but on relatively isolated cases while many people have their hermits spawn. Why doesn't the young survive in most cases? Can anything be done to help?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My observations is that the young get eaten or do not have the proper food. I have snails breed in my rock nem/NPS tank. It is fishless with just small inverts. Gets fed Oysterfeast, Phytofeast, R.O.E., Mysis, Rotifers, Calanus....

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stomatella snails are the only CUC I use apart from my fire shrimp. They breed readily in my mixed reefs without any help from me. I started with 2-3 as hitchhikers and easily have 200 between my 3 tanks now. If I notice babies, I stop scraping the glass because that removes a food source and I’ll end up scraping off babies which could lead them to getting sucked into the filter. I’ve actually got around 200 TINY babies right now :)
0A736EAB-EBC8-4327-BC2E-AADD5C8A378C.jpeg
C782F77A-3217-4EF8-9373-9959ECCB92AB.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had a trochus snail in my system in about a year. Then all of a sudden i have a few babies in my sump! So, i am letting them grow in the sump and moving to the DT. I have not seen any baby snails of any types in my DT...i guess the fish might eat them.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back