OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a nice red fish you snagged, i used to live in Tampa and snook and redfish were always my favorite catch...
Thanks, redfish are the best!! Except for when the tarpon are here in the summer months then I'll give the reds a break!

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing almost done, planning on filling her up today. Get those frags ready @dbl lol

20190210_122027.jpg

20190209_135407.jpg

20190210_122027.jpg

20190209_135407.jpg

20190210_122033.jpg

20190210_122041.jpg

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing happened this morning. I got up before work at 530am and finished filling the tank, I went back to making breakfast and noticed in the dark the water level dropped like 5 inches. I immediately panicked and thought for sure there was a huge leak in my plumbing. I checked everywhere for water for atleast 10 minutes and couldn't find any! Come to find out the pump I used to fill the tank back siphoned back into the mixing container. Lol What a way to start off the week!!

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing happened this morning. I got up before work at 530am and finished filling the tank, I went back to making breakfast and noticed in the dark the water level dropped like 5 inches. I immediately panicked and thought for sure there was a huge leak in my plumbing. I checked everywhere for water for atleast 10 minutes and couldn't find any! Come to find out the pump I used to fill the tank back siphoned back into the mixing container. Lol What a way to start off the week!!
lol, it is funny how we go into critical mode so fast.

The tank is looking great, the plumbing looks awesome !! keep up the great work and i cant wait to see how you do all the electrical and what are you using for a controller? (pardon me if i missed that in past posts if you already covered that)

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, it is funny how we go into critical mode so fast.

The tank is looking great, the plumbing looks awesome !! keep up the great work and i cant wait to see how you do all the electrical and what are you using for a controller? (pardon me if i missed that in past posts if you already covered that)
Haha is was sheer panic mode at 530 this morning! I'm using an Apex with 2 eb832's and 1 eb8. I'm working on electrical this week/weekend. I plan on mounting the apex board on the side of the stand using 2x4's and some 3/4" plywood, I'll finish the plywood and 2x4's with kilz and paint black. I bought a bunch of 2" grommets for running the wires through the plywood. Also shout out to @dbl for coming over and giving me the idea to move some electrical around to eliminate any extension cords on the floor. I still have to order a couple 30' aquabus/usb cables, but other then that electrical work should be done this week.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like an exciting start to the week to me and it all ended well with a laugh. Good things are coming your way!

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha is was sheer panic mode at 530 this morning! I'm using an Apex with 2 eb832's and 1 eb8. I'm working on electrical this week/weekend. I plan on mounting the apex board on the side of the stand using 2x4's and some 3/4" plywood, I'll finish the plywood and 2x4's with kilz and paint black. I bought a bunch of 2" grommets for running the wires through the plywood. Also shout out to @dbl for coming over and giving me the idea to move some electrical around to eliminate any extension cords on the floor. I still have to order a couple 30' aquabus/usb cables, but other then that electrical work should be done this week.
yea i just finished my build mid last year and the wires become an issue and i never thought i would have so much gear but it really makes the reef keeping experience much easier. feel free to check out my build as i wish i would have seen some larger apex builds for wiring before i mounted everything as i had to pull it all apart 3 months later to rewire and still need to finish hiding all the wires..lol

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of back siphon, what is your plan for turning off the return pump? The return lines are fairly low in your tank and would back flow quite a bit of water into your sump. Is the sump big enough to handle this volume or do you have another solution? Do you have to rely on manually turning the ball valves? I tried to figure it out from the pictures and this seemed most logical...

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i assume the top two are the returns and what is that open "hole" in the picture for? the top ones should be ok if your sump is large enough...

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of back siphon, what is your plan for turning off the return pump? The return lines are fairly low in your tank and would back flow quite a bit of water into your sump. Is the sump big enough to handle this volume or do you have another solution? Do you have to rely on manually turning the ball valves? I tried to figure it out from the pictures and this seemed most logical...
20190210_122033.jpg

Hard to see but I have a check valve on the return, also my sump is 20 inches tall to handle any back siphon in case of emergency.

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i assume the top two are the returns and what is that open "hole" in the picture for? the top ones should be ok if your sump is large enough...
The open hole is for water changes, I still need to put a screen cover on the inside, but it's placed roughly 1/3rd from the top, so if i have to I can quickly drain 2/3 of the tank, it will be plumbed to a union ball valve and then to flex tube to my utility sink. I'll snap a shot of it tonight.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The open hole is for water changes, I still need to put a screen cover on the inside, but it's placed roughly 1/3rd from the top, so if i have to I can quickly drain 2/3 of the tank, it will be plumbed to a union ball valve and then to flex tube to my utility sink. I'll snap a shot of it tonight.
ahh....thats a great idea. i do daily water changes with the DOS so i never manually drain or do water changes and the automated process takes 3 gal per day out and adds 3 gal of new salt mix but i like that idea especially for emergency use

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this might be from the angle of the camera but is there enough room to get the skimmer cup out? and i assume that is a reactor next to the skimmer, is there room to pull that out?

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this might be from the angle of the camera but is there enough room to get the skimmer cup out? and i assume that is a reactor next to the skimmer, is there room to pull that out?

Yeah I've already pulled them out several times, it's kind of a pain but it works. From left to right, skimmer and carbon reactor, then calcium reactor, then return.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back