AIO 60L tank and 3 weeks holiday...auto water change during 3 weeks or dosing?

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, got a AIO, fairly new tank. i must go away 3 weeks and no one can come. I've bought a dosing pump since i was thinking about dosing during the time away but most likely don't have enough time to set that up. Do you guys think that would be better to setup a 1/2% auto water change daily instead of dosing?

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really depends on the stocking of the tank.

Current fish/coral list will help to determine whether you need to do either

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really depends on the stocking of the tank.

Current fish/coral list will help to determine whether you need to do either
is quite lightly stocked i think and fairly new

Attachments

• 309681190_10225507558649384_6864007787245936116_n.jpg
    309681190_10225507558649384_6864007787245936116_n.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 23

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, got a AIO, fairly new tank. i must go away 3 weeks and no one can come. I've bought a dosing pump since i was thinking about dosing during the time away but most likely don't have enough time to set that up. Do you guys think that would be better to setup a 1/2% auto water change daily instead of dosing?
I'm of the thought to minimize changes right before you leave. I'd almost suggest a large water change before you go and lightly feed while your gone. After you return then setup the awc.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend automating anything without testing for at least a month. Maybe you can hire a local pet shop to come in once a week to do water changes and cleanups. Maybe a relative or friend can let them in? The tank looks like it may be able to do ok for a week with an auto top off. More than that is risky.

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend automating anything without testing for at least a month. Maybe you can hire a local pet shop to come in once a week to do water changes and cleanups. Maybe a relative or friend can let them in? The tank looks like it may be able to do ok for a week with an auto top off. More than that is risky.
unfortunately neartest lfs is about 2hrs drive, i'm up in the alps. what you mean by "mor than that is risky"? i've tought would be more risk not to change water for 3 weeks. I precise, i do have a auto top off that is running for 1 month roughly and that will rest in place, i can't leave the tank without it.
I'm of the thought to minimize changes right before you leave. I'd almost suggest a large water change before you go and lightly feed while your gone. After you return then setup the awc.
that was initial plan, 60% WC the day before i leave and then pray. but then i've got the dosing pump and i've tought could not be bad to let it do WC...then, is a wifi one (jebao 3.4) i probably will not automate anything and will do few liters WC if i see something off on the camera while i am away

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That setup with be fine without dosing. A large water change the day before you go should be sufficient

How are you planning on keeping the fish and shrimp fed?

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That setup with be fine without dosing. A large water change the day before you go should be sufficient

How are you planning on keeping the fish and shrimp fed?
i have a small auto feeder they will eat crushed pellet of 3 sorts 2 times a day. I tought too to do not dose since i don't have enought time to set it up correctly. But i do have time to setup the dosing pump in order to do auto water change. You also advice against auto water change? since is wifi i could even do big water change before go away and after 10 days do a 20% water change from remote so that it surely ok to go for other 10 days without me.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
That’s what I would do as well.

Big WC 2-3 days before, then feed sparingly while you’re gone. Fish don’t need to eat every day. It’s more important to keep the water clean.

AWC is ideal only if you have used it a couple of times and be sure that it functions properly.

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a small auto feeder they will eat crushed pellet of 3 sorts 2 times a day. I tought too to do not dose since i don't have enought time to set it up correctly. But i do have time to setup the dosing pump in order to do auto water change. You also advice against auto water change? since is wifi i could even do big water change before go away and after 10 days do a 20% water change from remote so that it surely ok to go for other 10 days without me.
That auto feeder is perfect.

I really don't think you need to run the AWC. Your tank isn't heavily stocked, those guys will all be perfectly fine without it for 3 weeks. If anything, the softies might enjoy some more nutrients in the system.

I think the AWC can do more harm than good in this situation.

OP
OP
fr3n0z

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boh many people told me to let it run without problem so that i shall do. I will anyway set up the doser to do water changes but i will do it by remote if i see something weird going on via the camera.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately neartest lfs is about 2hrs drive, i'm up in the alps. what you mean by "mor than that is risky"? i've tought would be more risk not to change water for 3 weeks. I precise, i do have a auto top off that is running for 1 month roughly and that will rest in place, i can't leave the tank without it.

that was initial plan, 60% WC the day before i leave and then pray. but then i've got the dosing pump and i've tought could not be bad to let it do WC...then, is a wifi one (jebao 3.4) i probably will not automate anything and will do few liters WC if i see something off on the camera while i am away
That I would feel uncomfortable leaving my tank for more than a week. But if you have to then there’s no choice. You can also look into a battery backup for one of your pumps so if you loose power at least you’ll have a 1-2 day buffer.

Back