AIO help! Rear chambers are emptying out (return pump one)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I see the display water in my WB10 get above the Waterbox branding, it's time to change my filter.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe packed in too tight. Maybe dirtier water. Dont cut a gap though, that defeats the purpose.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the same floss for two months and it was working great. I may have the floss packed in too tight? Maybe cut it shorter allow a gap in the back?
is this an intank problem?
Prob packed too tight or something is obstructing weir I’ve had GHA stop weir from draining water

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the same floss for two months and it was working great. I may have the floss packed in too tight? Maybe cut it shorter allow a gap in the back?
is this an intank problem?
So this happened right after you changed the floss? If you were using the same floss for 2 months and you hadn't changed it yet It will definitely alter how much slow goes through it as time goes on and it picks up sediment inadvertently increasing the water level in your tank.
Using filter floss (the loose stuff you buy in big bags like animal stuffing), It is very difficult to get the same amount of floss per inch and density that you were using last time you changed, It might be worth looking into a bonded filter pad like the one lifeguard sells. It's what I used to use before I ran out and and currently using what's left of my filter floss. It's nice because it's the same consistency all the way through so all you have to do is cut a square of it to fit the size of the chamber you trying to filter. If it's not thick enough or doesn't block enough for you you can always double it up as well.

danieldagnesses

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
returned from vacation to have my Watterbox AIO 20g tank acting up. There are 3 chambers in the rear...from left to right there is the intake, then the middle one, and the return chamber that has the return pump.
This return chamber is running empty. The 1st chamber (intake) is full, middle chamber is about halfway full, and last is practically empty. Level of water in tank is near top. I have stopped the pumps and drained out the chambers. Took a strong flashlight and shined light down baffles...I can see the light in each chamber. I run a plastic stiff tube down each baffle, nothing. I have cleaned the return pump. Added water back, same issue.

There is water flowing between chambers, just not at a speed that allows the middle and end chambers to fill up. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

From what I understand, it's the return pump that controls the water flow through the chambers....it pulls water to put back in tank. if the flow in the chambers is too slow, then the pump is draining out that chamber. Does that sound right? A slower pump would not pull so quickly....right?

I have also checked the (don't know what it's called) point of 1st chamber where water comes into the intake one. It's fine because the first chamber is always full.

Full disclosure, this has happened before, but previously the middle chamber had this sponge that I took out and cleaned. The chambers returned to normal. I did all that this time too, but nothing.

Any thoughts on what might be going on or what I need to do?

I plan on hitting up some pet shops tomorrow to see if I can get a new pump to eliminate that.
It’s because your water is evaporating and it o it goes down on your return chamber where your ato is supposed to be

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was 2 years ago, I sure hope so.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I "dial down" the pump? It doesn't have any adjustment settings that I can find

And how does changing the filter (by filter, I assume you mean the sponge in the middle chamber?) daily affect the flow if it's currently having no effect on it?

The only way to dial back your return pump would be to add a gate valve. And that may be difficult to do on an AIO.

The addition of a sponge creates obstruction in flow. Even a new, clean sponge will impact the flow rate. As the sponge becomes dirtier, flow will continue to decrease.

It is a good idea to clean these sponges weekly as that can become the source of a bacterial infection.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank behaves like a system with insufficient water volume. That being said, other issues could mimic low water volume.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think waterbox included pump is too strong. Hopefully OP replies and lets us know, seems to be a common issue.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revived it want to know what happened with this mystery dry chamber issue lol

Gabbone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very funny, I have exactly the same with my AIO 32g tank.

Check the picture below.

If I put the vertical filter sponge there (chamber n.2 circled in yellow), as shown in the tank instructions, it slows down so much the water flow so that the returning pump sucks all the water and drains its own chamber n.5. And this happens in less than 1 minute :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I fixed it by placing in chamber n.2 just a little part of the longe sponge by cutting it with a knife.
However, I am trying to order a more coarse sponge because probably the one given with the tank is too fine. I'll keep you updated.

Anyway, I am using that sponge + filter floss in chamber n.3 as there it doesn't slow down the water flow.

IMG_0680.jpg

Shopedawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he said he had the intank media basket in chamber 1. That media basket blocks several of the baffles between chamber 1 and chamber 2. Then having the restriction of the sponge in chamber was not allowing enough flow of water into chamber three. His return pump in chamber three was not being supplied enough water fast enough so the restriction from the intank media basket and sponge was more than likely causing the issue not evaporation.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back