AIO maintenance

JohnnyVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very close to upgrading to a IM 40 AIO.
Can anyone tell me how often I will need to access the back of the tank to clean the sump?
I would imagine getting back there is difficult if I have the tank and stand set into a corner.

Regards,
jv

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have the same tank. I made the mistake of leaving it up against a wall so its kinda hard to clean the "sump" but I can do it with a ladder lol.

I havent cleaned the back yet and Ive had it going since April. I have TONS of beneficial sponges back there so I dont want to touch it... All I do is clean the return pump every month and thats about it

ranchhand02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano cube 28 gallon and all I do is siphon water from back there to pick up some of the detritus. You can also use a powerhead back there to keep it stirred up.

juniorrocketdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a Red Sea max 30 gallon and the only cleaning of the back I did was spray a turkey Bastet to stir up the detritus before water changes. There was a lot f sponge and feather duster growth back there which was good as well.

The only problem I had with the aio style tank was when my six line wrasses jumped back there and it was litterally impossible to get him out. So he lived back there for the remainder of his life

Mattj815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the IM 40 set up and since April and also have not yet cleaned out the back. Im planning to soon though.

I had a little problem with gha but is starting to recede after starting gfo. I am seeing it in the back compartments though. But I figure as long as its back there I dont care, but imagining that cant be good either as it will probably spread.

OP
OP
JohnnyVan

JohnnyVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all,
Does not sound like it will be a deal breaker then.
An AIO seemed to be a good fit for me and maintenance was my main concern.

JV

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back