AIO or Sump for a beginner?

Patrick M Bodega Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am looking to start my first saltwater aquarium after 10+ years in the freshwater world and I am very new to the sump concept. Do you recommend a AIO (specifically a Waterbox 50.3 or 65.4) or a sump system (something like a Waterbox frag or Marinex). Thanks!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is larger.
Can be sectioned off for different water treatments and fuge.
53DCC10E-4EF9-466B-A9C3-28D922380B83.jpeg

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I really think a sump will give you more flexibility/options/room as you progress in the hobby and as your tank grows more mature!

Having a sump is just as simple/complex in my experience as an AIO.

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cast my vote for sump.

The plumbing and set up for a sump it confusing and a bit difficult, but once you get it working, it's pays off

An AIO is easy but requires a bit more maintenance and there's not much room for additions.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend AIO for a beginner, just as far as simplicity goes. Although in a tank of that size I would say go with a sump whether a beginner or not.

here’s my vote for sump! ( plus all the cool kids have sumps :cool:, well I don’t, but I guess I’m not a cool kid )

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote for sump.. as you grow in the salt world you can add way more to it down the road vs an AIO your limited to what it comes with.. plus if you ever upgrade tanks that's just another piece of equipment that is transferrable. You also get more water volume in your system which is a strong benefit

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will vote sump. I would say hang on back equipment or aio but you will go sump eventually anyway.
D

Research Monkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with an AIO 20 gallon as I wanted to start with something smaller. I think if I would have started with a 40 gallon + tank I would have went with a sump. Hell, I can already see a 100+ gallon tank in my future and i've only been at this a few months.

Zwogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad I started off with an AIO, it simplified what I could add, only so much space and focus on the basics of water changes. Depending on the size you want to start with, a AIO where a 5 gallon weekly water is more than enough to keep up with parameters and nutrient export really streamlines the maintenance.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with an AIO 20 gallon as I wanted to start with something smaller. I think if I would have started with a 40 gallon + tank I would have went with a sump. Hell, I can already see a 100+ gallon tank in my future and i've only been at this a few months.
LOL I'm in the same boat. Bought a Waterbox 70.2 and already want something much larger, but I also want a nano!

+1 sump, it's a bit to get your head around though (at least it was for me!)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back