AIO Passive Refugium Modification?

sarahgo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I am setting up a small IM Fusion pro 10 gallon in my office. I want something more than a small chamber for cheato, but this being an upstairs tank, I don’t want to set up a sump system because of the overflow risks, hence the small, AIO choice.

Has anyone wanted or tried to modify thier AIO to allow for the addition of a passive flow refugium? to explain, I am thinking of drilling two holes in the back of my tank, one just behind the filter sock intake section, and one just behind the return section. I would then silicone what would look like a large glass overflow box to close in the backside. It would look like a HOB fuge with no pump that’s level with the tank height. I don’t think I’d need any pump, because flow would come passively from the strategically placed holes as stated above.

Any thoughts?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't drill the IM tank as I believe the back is tempered glass. An alternative could be an (active) chaeto reactor? I know from personal experience that the IM Fusion 10 has very limited real estate.

OP
OP
sarahgo

sarahgo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't drill the IM tank as I believe the back is tempered glass. An alternative could be an (active) chaeto reactor? I know from personal experience that the IM Fusion 10 has very limited real estate.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I’ll just go the easy way with the fuge basket. I don’t need to make mods to such a small tank, I guess. Save That for the 100+ system in my living room.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM 20 in my office and an IM 14 at home and there is not much room in either with a basket. Truthfully, I don't think you could grow enough chaeto to make a difference. Better off with frequent small water changes. Use the basket for carbon and polyfil floss.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back