AIO Tank - How to add a sump

Superman_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I have a Cobalt C-vue 18 gallon AIO Reef tank. I want to design a sump for this tank. I have some thoughts and ideas but I could use some advice especially from those who have done this before.. I'm attaching a picture of the diagram of the tank of how it is currently set up. I am doing my own plumbing and buying a sump. I just need to know what is the best way to get water in and out of the tank to and from the sump. Where should the return pipe to the tank be plumbed to? Where should the pipe from the tank to the sump sit on the tank? And i do plan on doing a check valve to avoid flooding. Also plan on doing a gate valve to control from from the tank. Thanks everyone!

TESTFiltration_18g_1000x1000-01_1000x.jpg

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can drill 3 holes in that center section (1-main drain, 1-emergency and 1-return plumbing) Or if there is enough room 4 or 5 holes (2-main drains, 1 or 2 emergency and 1 return). And do a herbie style overflow. You would have whatever filtering you have in the AIO then drain it to the sump and have additional filtering, equipment, etc.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main benefit of switching from an AIO to a sump style reef is getting all of the equipment "downstairs" and opening up space in the DT.

If you are going to invest money and time in a sump and drilling, why don't you just invest in a normal tank of the same or similar dimensions?

All of the chambers will just become wasted space in an already small aquarium.

Last edited:

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main benefit of switching to a sump from an AIO is getting all of that room back in the DT.

If you are going to buy a sump and drill, why don't you just invest in a normal tank of the same or similar dimensions?

All of the chambers will just become wasted space in an already small aquarium...
I respectfully disagree. Yes you are losing DT space, but you put filter socks, pad, whatever before draining to the sump so you have additional mechanical filtration or more room in the sump for equipment, fuge space, etc. because the filter socks, pad, whatever are not taking up space in the sump. Would I buy an AIO with the intent to drill it for a sump? No, but if you already have one, why waste the money on a new tank when you have a perfectly good tank sitting right in front of you. Then add in the fact of trying to sell the AIO (you're either not going to sell it or take a loss on it) so you'd actually be out more money than just drilling your current tank

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just trying to help the OP think this through before starting something and possibly regretting it later.

You can buy an appropriately sized sump and have plenty of room for everything you mentioned. Then pick up a substantial amount of room in the display.

To me that would be worth switching the tank out, but feel free to reef your way....

Last edited:

greefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I have a Cobalt C-vue 18 gallon AIO Reef tank. I want to design a sump for this tank. I have some thoughts and ideas but I could use some advice especially from those who have done this before.. I'm attaching a picture of the diagram of the tank of how it is currently set up. I am doing my own plumbing and buying a sump. I just need to know what is the best way to get water in and out of the tank to and from the sump. Where should the return pipe to the tank be plumbed to? Where should the pipe from the tank to the sump sit on the tank? And i do plan on doing a check valve to avoid flooding. Also plan on doing a gate valve to control from from the tank. Thanks everyone!

TESTFiltration_18g_1000x1000-01_1000x.jpg
So glad to hear of someone doing something that I’m going through exactly right now.
I recently bought a all in one water box 20 gallon tank from my office and have loved it and totally gotten back into the Hobby which I was in deep deep 1015 years ago but I am seeing the issues with equipment in the back of the AIO and for the corals I want to grow and inhabitants I want to keep I do think A sump is a much better option so I’ve debated drilling my tank and or using this Popko overflow system that would go in the middle compartment of the all in one that sucks water to a sump and returns it in that middle compartment after much much debate and research and reading all things I decided because it was on sale mainly to buy a Fiji cube drilled tank 22 gallon would fit on the same stand and switch the tank I also bought the Fiji 20 sump and I’m excited about the options of a sump I might sell the water box put it back in the box and sell it or use it for something else but I like the debate
If you don’t wanna buy another aquarium which at the time was my thought
I also agree this hobby is so dang expensive a $250 drill tank you know it’s not that big a deal with what are you spending this hobby so just got to weigh your options and do what’s best for you I was a little bit concerned that the flow of the all in one going through those chambers might mess up the Popko overflow and or the drilled issue let me know of the tank not sure it’s supposed to work that way

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of doing the same thing with my Fluval Flex 32.5.

As long as it's not Tempered glass, your best bet is to relocate your pets, drain the tank, rip out the AIO box/baffles, and then use an overflow like a EShopps Prodigy or Eclipse, or a Fiji Cube, you drill the glass (template and drill bit provided), put the overflow in place, and then plumb it to your sump. I'm personally going to be using a 20 Long with the Fiji Cube Baffle system. Total cost = ~$255 depending on the overflow you decide on.

20L = $20 at Petco during their sales
Fiji Baffles = $115
Overflows are anywhere between $120 and $200 =

greefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of doing the same thing with my Fluval Flex 32.5.

As long as it's not Tempered glass, your best bet is to relocate your pets, drain the tank, rip out the AIO box/baffles, and then use an overflow like a EShopps Prodigy or Eclipse, or a Fiji Cube, you drill the glass (template and drill bit provided), put the overflow in place, and then plumb it to your sump. I'm personally going to be using a 20 Long with the Fiji Cube Baffle system. Total cost = ~$255 depending on the overflow you decide on.

20L = $20 at Petco during their sales
Fiji Baffles = $115
Overflows are anywhere between $120 and $200 =
It worried me and I read it was a bad idea to try and rip the AIO apart it’s risky and a 22 gallon drilled at a good price 250 range.
i was worried the flow of the AIO would interrupt overflow.
maybe not. Let me know who’s tried it.
I now have a great WB 20 cube for sale will add nice equipment

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back