AIO Vs Sump

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI Everyone,

I am currently looking at either a waterbox AIO or a WB Marine X 60.2.

My current decision is at a standstill. I am going to be moving in a few years, but will be looking to do a 100+ gallon tank when I move into my final home, but until then I have a 46 gallon bow front tank and am looking to upgrade to a better system.

The questions I have:
AIO: Pricing with stands and AI Prime lights: (AIO 35.2 gallon $1015 - AIO 50.3 $1541) for the 50 gallon would potential build stand and price would be $1042.
What is a good skimmer for it?
I have heard you can run a sump?
Will I get good results with water quality ETC with the AIO filtration?
What are peoples thoughts on the AIO? Is it easier/better for a smaller system?

Marine X 60.2: (36 gallon display and 18 gallon display Price: $1217)
Is it better to have a sump and run a skimmer on this?
Will I get better water quality with the sump filtration?

For corals I would be looking to do softies/LPS/ MAYBE SPS if SPS it would be very limited.

What would be the better buy and get the best results for corals. It would be a mixed reef, but looking for best results for corals.

Any feedback is very helpful!

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I think it really depends on what you want to do with the aquarium. As far as functionality, there is nothing wrong with an AIO. External sumps provide more water volume and make things a bit easier when adding equipment and working on the tank. With that being said, you pay for these with the cost of silence. Once a tank is drilled it will never be completely silent as an AIO is. Another consideration is height of the tank, my AIO sits on a 4 and a half foot stand which isn’t really ideal if a sump is underneath it. If you’d like complete silence I’d go all in one.
I think you should take into consideration what you’d like to keep. If you want a tank that is at its max capacity as far as fish and inverts, you will likely want a sump for the heavy bioload. If the tank is going to be a mixed reef with a fairly standard bio load I see nothing wrong with going the AIO route. The biggest downsides to AIO are not having a fuge, the tight spaces for equipment, and the less surface area for filtration in general.
In my AIO, I grow small amounts of macro algae in the display that looks nice to the eye, and also helps with some filtration and eliminates the need for a fuge. I hope this helps, the decision always comes with some anxiety. At the end of the day it’s all personal preference. If you plan on upgrading soon, an all in one may just be an easier less time consuming option.
As far as the skimmer goes - I wouldn’t plan your whole tank around it. Choose the tank you like and then worry about the skimmer. I skim my AIO but I doubt I even need to. 2 of my 3 tanks have skimmers, they are helpful but not always a “requirement”

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I think it really depends on what you want to do with the aquarium. As far as functionality, there is nothing wrong with an AIO. External sumps provide more water volume and make things a bit easier when adding equipment and working on the tank. With that being said, you pay for these with the cost of silence. Once a tank is drilled it will never be completely silent as an AIO is. Another consideration is height of the tank, my AIO sits on a 4 and a half foot stand which isn’t really ideal if a sump is underneath it. If you’d like complete silence I’d go all in one.
I think you should take into consideration what you’d like to keep. If you want a tank that is at its max capacity as far as fish and inverts, you will likely want a sump for the heavy bioload. If the tank is going to be a mixed reef with a fairly standard bio load I see nothing wrong with going the AIO route. The biggest downsides to AIO are not having a fuge, the tight spaces for equipment, and the less surface area for filtration in general.
In my AIO, I grow small amounts of macro algae in the display that looks nice to the eye, and also helps with some filtration and eliminates the need for a fuge. I hope this helps, the decision always comes with some anxiety. At the end of the day it’s all personal preference. If you plan on upgrading soon, an all in one may just be an easier less time consuming option.
As far as the skimmer goes - I wouldn’t plan your whole tank around it. Choose the tank you like and then worry about the skimmer. I skim my AIO but I doubt I even need to. 2 of my 3 tanks have skimmers, they are helpful but not always a “requirement”

Thanks for this information! Yeah it is definitely a tough decision to make just for the sheer fact that there is not good information on which one is better. Fish stocking I am planning on not having anything to crazy.. Just pair of clowns, Goby, maybe a couple other fish.. Nothing to crazy. I really want to focus on my coral growth the most for when I buy my final house I already have good established corals! What protein skimmer would you suggest?

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would never run an AIO and have always run tanks with sumps. That said, I’ve never had a salt tank in the smaller sizes you are quoting. I am a sump advocate because it gives you room to work, add or remove reactors, CO2 scrubbers, filter rollers, calcium reactors, etc. Basically, you can add or delete equipment to your heart’s content and never have to se any of it. If your skimmer overflows, oh well it’s in the sump. You can do your water changes out of the sump. You can imprison naughty hermit crabs and fish there, run a fuge, keep a frag rack, etc.

I don’t appreciate the lost real estate of an AIO, you lose that DT volume that could be more coral and aquascape.If plumbed with a Herbie or bean animal a DT and sump system is not noisy. My power heads make more noise than my overflow.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO tanks are beautiful in my opinion. I think if you’ve never tried one you should, they are really cool. As far as skimming an AIO things get a little difficult, I am not familiar with the size of the back chambers on the water box, but tunze makes a 9004 (tunze 9004, DC) that is pretty compact and a solid skimmer for its size. Make sure to get the DC version, it’s worth the extra few bucks.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would never run an AIO and have always run tanks with sumps. That said, I’ve never had a salt tank in the smaller sizes you are quoting. I am a sump advocate because it gives you room to work, add or remove reactors, CO2 scrubbers, filter rollers, calcium reactors, etc. Basically, you can add or delete equipment to your heart’s content and never have to se any of it. If your skimmer overflows, oh well it’s in the sump. You can do your water changes out of the sump. You can imprison naughty hermit crabs and fish there, run a fuge, keep a frag rack, etc.

I don’t appreciate the lost real estate of an AIO, you lose that DT volume that could be more coral and aquascape.If plumbed with a Herbie or bean animal a DT and sump system is not noisy. My power heads make more noise than my overflow.
Do you have experience with AIO? That’s a hasty generalization that may put someone off, they are awesome tanks. I know you can silence the drain but ime return pumps large enough to push the water that high up make a little noise

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the information! It is definitely going to be a tough decision.. I have always thought a sump and for just a $200 more if it was worth it! I am planning on doing a 120+ In my final house.. Just don't know if I want like a WB or to make it into the wall!

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information! It is definitely going to be a tough decision.. I have always thought a sump and for just a $200 more if it was worth it! I am planning on doing a 120+ In my final house.. Just don't know if I want like a WB or to make it into the wall!
I like a tank on a stand myself. I enjoy being able to look through the side and see what’s behind the rocks and get the different angle, in wall tanks are more like TVs but certainly have the advantage of being able to have a fish room behind it! A 120 is a great size, so nice for aquascaping! I really like a tank that is 24 inches front to back.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have experience with AIO? That’s a hasty generalization that may put someone off, they are awesome tanks. I know you can silence the drain but ime return pumps large enough to push the water that high up make a little noise
I haven’t run one, but have seen my fair share of them in person. They really aren’t for me and I’m just communicating my view on it to balance the discussion. The new DC return pumps are darn near silent. I can’t tell whether my COR20 is running or not by listening for it alone.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM 25 gal. lagoon AIO and its a great tank!! I have the IM desk top skimmer in one chamber, 2 media baskets , heater and a small refugium that fit in the back. On Innovative Marine's website they show all of their tanks along with upgrades and stands and they are usually running a special.

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a tank on a stand myself. I enjoy being able to look through the side and see what’s behind the rocks and get the different angle, in wall tanks are more like TVs but certainly have the advantage of being able to have a fish room behind it! A 120 is a great size, so nice for aquascaping! I really like a tank that is 24 inches front to back.

That is totally true.. I just love the WB's they look so great.. just really expensive, but good quality.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t run one, but have seen my fair share of them in person. They really aren’t for me and I’m just communicating my view on it to balance the discussion. The new DC return pumps are darn near silent. I can’t tell whether my COR20 is running or not by listening for it alone.
That may be because all my pumps are 10+ year old eheims! Still running strong, but noisily! Lol

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are planning on moving in a few years and will be upgrading to your final tank at that point, I'd go with an AIO for now out of convenience. Less moving parts and less parts to move etc...

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a coincident. I am too considering the Waterbox AIO or the newly release Marine X. I'm leaning toward AIO since there is less change of leaks etc. I like the AIO 65.4 dimension ~48x20. I would think the longer than allow for more swimming room.

Here is the equipment i plan on buying for my build

Waterbox AIO 65.4
Tunze 9012 DC
Sicce Pro 550gph return
2X Hydor Koralia Nano 565gph for water movement

40lb dry marcorock
40lb Caribsea arag-alive

I'm deciding if i should pull the trigger now, or wait till Black Friday.

I'm planning a FOWLR tank, so i don;t need a high power light. I may start with cheap LED for now, and upgrade later.

let me know which tank you end up with and the equipment choice

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a coincident. I am too considering the Waterbox AIO or the newly release Marine X. I'm leaning toward AIO since there is less change of leaks etc. I like the AIO 65.4 dimension ~48x20. I would think the longer than allow for more swimming room.

Here is the equipment i plan on buying for my build

Waterbox AIO 65.4
Tunze 9012 DC
Sicce Pro 550gph return
2X Hydor Koralia Nano 565gph for water movement

40lb dry marcorock
40lb Caribsea arag-alive

I'm deciding if i should pull the trigger now, or wait till Black Friday.

I'm planning a FOWLR tank, so i don;t need a high power light. I may start with cheap LED for now, and upgrade later.

let me know which tank you end up with and the equipment choice

Do they run good deals on black friday?? I may wait until then as well! I will definitely be checking! I am really torn on what to do! I like the idea of the Marine x series, but super small display, but however it would get me experience with a sump! However, I do like the AIO in the end.. just seems super convenient and I really want to be running a skimmer on my next tank.. With the AIO I would probably build my own stand just due to them charging $500 for it.. haha

newfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have "Blue Monday" Sale in the past. There is no reason to believe they won't have another one this year. Google it and you can find out what deal they offered last year.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same dilemma about 9 months ago when choosing my first tank. I wanted a smaller tank due to apartment and thoughts of moving before becoming stable in my living situation. I went with a nuvo20 AIO I love the tank and not many regrets but I do have a few.

1) I really wish I had a sump to run a fuge (sight ph problem I could fix with that)

2) Could use the sump to help when I’m dealing with algae/sand issues. Could just siphon from DT into filter sock in sump to clean up algae and stuff.

The back chambers in the AIO I have now get dirty and gunned up kind of bad but I’m not too worried about it and I just clean in every couple months so far.

So much for staying small as I’m looking at upgrading to a sump system even though I’m still in the apartment haha.

Corgigirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Max 260 AIO, it’s been up and running almost two weeks. I went back and forth too about a sump, almost went with one, then thought for simplicity i would stick with the AIO. So far, I love it, first clown fish pair went in today. The plus to this tank is, it’s set up and drilled for a fuge and sump if I want to add one at any time. I figured this would give me the most flexibility :)

01C4AFB0-5C01-4312-A9A5-FC40A34EE44E.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back