Aiptasia…it’s everywhere!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My expectations is to prevent any aiptasia from entering my main tank.

I have a 20 gallon coral QT. A few pieces of KP rock and dry rock.

I brought home a lobo coral and it popped aiptasia so I glued it shut. Then a few weeks later another popped up so I glued the entire base stuck.

A few weeks prior I brought home 1 piece of live rock from LFS and then a few days later I found a GIANT aiptasia so I glued it shut and left it in the tank for 1 week but then I decided not to risk it and I threw it out.

Everything was going perfect for the next fews weeks. I really thought that I successfully eradicated aiptasia!

I maintained my ATO and just laid back from my daily inspections because I was focusing on the new build.

Tonight I see a large aiptasia on my KP rock! I’m flipping out! Did KP bring in aiptasia? Impossible! I look and I see more babies on the KP rock.

Then I look around and I see aiptasia on my dry rocks too!

Oh no! I feel like I’ll never be able to eradicate them at this rate. Who knows how many more will come out.

I didn’t want to get natural predator fish because I didn’t want them picking at the acros/clams.

I really thought I had this under control. Now what? :worried-face:

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the reef delete! Haven't seen a review from someone who used it for it's intended purpose!

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having faced aiptasia head on and spending $100s on aiptasia x, I will tell you not to go crazy trying to eradicate them. If you leave them alone they are less likely to spread. Get some peppermint shrimps, may or may not work but they are excellent at eating babie aiptasia. Once you have that covered you can start killing the bigger ones knowing when they spread the peppermints will take care of them. IME i did once eradicate them from my display, I had 1000s from this method was able to get rid of all the ones in my display. They still where in the overflow and sump but was a win

Back