Aiptasia . . . AGAIN!

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within six months of setting up my 24g AIO cube, I was talked into adding some live rock to my tank. Among a whole bunch of other pests, I introduced aiptasia. I tried F-Aiptasia, hot water, lemon juice, all to no avail. All I was doing was spreading the aiptasia in the tank.

Then I got a peppermint shrimp. Within two days, there was no sign of aiptasia anywhere. Finally, I thought, I've got rid of this pest.

After eight months of no aiptasia, my peppermint shrimp suddenly disappeared. I say suddenly, because he was always active. He molted, and he was eating lots of brine shrimp, mysis, and he loved spirulina algae. Then one day he was gone. I can only assume he died in the night and the rest of the cuc disposed of him.

Two days after the shrimp went missing, I can't believe my eyes! There is aiptasia in the tank! How does this happen? I haven't introduced ANYTHING new. No new fish, inverts, rock, corals - nothing!

To say I am highly annoyed is a massive understatement.

So, what's next? Nudibranch?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia will always be a reoccurring pest. I got rid of mine with peppers and aptasia x and now it's back again but growing in places hard to access like the over flow box. I saw one theory posted that if you only have a few leave them be as harmless filter feeders because if you go to battle they may spread all over. Not sure I buy into this. Peppers seem to work well in the tank. Aptasia X worked well on the visible reachable ones. I've got them in my sump now to. Nudi are good but expensive and I worry my wrasses will snack on them

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once aiptasia is in your tank, you need a constant natural way to keep them under control. Note I said under control, not eradication. They get into your sump / back chambers, pipes, under rocks, behind rocks, and other places that your peppermint can't reach. Manual removal is luck and pray.

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within six months of setting up my 24g AIO cube, I was talked into adding some live rock to my tank. Among a whole bunch of other pests, I introduced aiptasia. I tried F-Aiptasia, hot water, lemon juice, all to no avail. All I was doing was spreading the aiptasia in the tank.

Then I got a peppermint shrimp. Within two days, there was no sign of aiptasia anywhere. Finally, I thought, I've got rid of this pest.

After eight months of no aiptasia, my peppermint shrimp suddenly disappeared. I say suddenly, because he was always active. He molted, and he was eating lots of brine shrimp, mysis, and he loved spirulina algae. Then one day he was gone. I can only assume he died in the night and the rest of the cuc disposed of him.

Two days after the shrimp went missing, I can't believe my eyes! There is aiptasia in the tank! How does this happen? I haven't introduced ANYTHING new. No new fish, inverts, rock, corals - nothing!

To say I am highly annoyed is a massive understatement.

So, what's next? Nudibranch?
Yeah had the same problem after I used nudibranchs. They die they miss just one and then back to square one. Trouble is aiptasia can grow in all the places things like peppermint shrimp and nudibranchs can't get to.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I feel your pain, I purchased Berghia nudibranchs and all was well. I can’t remember if I added anything but I inspect every plug. 4-5 months later bingo right in the middle of my zoa garden again. Ordered mor Berghia and it has been about 4-5 months, fingers crossed. I can’t answer your question to how it returned I’m at a loss myself. Good luck.

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once aiptasia is in your tank, you need a constant natural way to keep them under control. Note I said under control, not eradication. They get into your sump / back chambers, pipes, under rocks, behind rocks, and other places that your peppermint can't reach. Manual removal is luck and pray.
Thank you. I hadn't considered the sump. I guess as soon as one appeared in the display, pepper was right on it. Now that he's gone, no more aiptasia patrol.

Guess I'm off to go buy a new peppermint shrimp.

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really...the kalk shocked me with how well it worked...you should really give it a shot...
The problem is the sump, as others have pointed out. I've got lots of bioballs and ceramic rings that aiptasia can hide in. Not going to risk destroying the biofilter. They drop a few spores, and BINGO! back in the display.

I'm now of the opinion that eradication is a pipe dream. Control via peppermint shrimp has worked in the past, going to stick with that for the time being.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back