Aiptasia and Flatworm eaters

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!!

Having some trouble with flatworms and aiptasia.
I tried aiptasia X, it just seemed to grow back after a while. Also tried Flatworm exit which seemed to work, and now I’ve got a few coming back again.

I want to try a natural approach, I know these are FAR from guaranteed as each fish may or may not take them into their diet but I’m excited to add some new fish to my tank anyway so I’m looking for some suggestions.

Whicj fish CAN eat these things in their diet, are relatively reef safe and can live alongside clownfish.

If possible, I also have a cleaner ahrimp
I’m quite fond of and wouldn’t want to see it demolished

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband for the aptasia! Beautiful, gentle fish.

FCFEBAF9-151C-4481-9578-F2BD80F8C9E8.jpeg

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly my six line doesn't touch flatworms, I recently started noticing the harmless variety in my tank and have been researching this topic myself. My next idea is the Springer/Blue Sapphire Damsel if I find one.

.....I also stumbled across the idea of the Spotted Mandarin but read it may not get along with my six line.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanarus wrasse will eat any pest that tries to become established long before it can. Yellow coris also good option and leopards do good picking as well

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello!!

Having some trouble with flatworms and aiptasia.
I tried aiptasia X, it just seemed to grow back after a while. Also tried Flatworm exit which seemed to work, and now I’ve got a few coming back again.

I want to try a natural approach, I know these are FAR from guaranteed as each fish may or may not take them into their diet but I’m excited to add some new fish to my tank anyway so I’m looking for some suggestions.

Whicj fish CAN eat these things in their diet, are relatively reef safe and can live alongside clownfish.

If possible, I also have a cleaner ahrimp
I’m quite fond of and wouldn’t want to see it demolished
The problem is and which is why I dont recommend chemical- It has no effect on the eggs and likely you had and still may have eggs which are Very tiny and often laid underneath coral. The eater for flatworms are:
yellow coris wrasse
6 line wrasse
lunare wrasse
melanurus wrasse

Springieri Damsel

For Aptasia- You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small. I will note that a couple of persons who got the blue had their kleini nip zoa. if so- easy sell, or place in sump as aptasia have likely made it down there already

1669774874713.png

Last edited:

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown is a rude little b**ch so I guess that’s a no hahah
I tried one in a 125 with a kole tang who is the resident bully and unfortunately did not make it. Really sad to see, happened after a week of eating, in less than 24 hrs, day 8 or so. Got it for aiptasia problem myself. I’ve seen articles about lemonpeel angelfish and then also some ugly freshwater fishy that converted to saltwater who eat aiptasia but cannot remember name

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is and which is why I dont recommend chemical- It has no effect on the eggs and likely you had and still may have eggs which are Very tiny and often laid underneath coral. The eater for flatworms are:
yellow coris wrasse
6 line wrasse
lunare wrasse
melanurus wrasse

Springieri Damsel

For Aptasia- You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small.

1669774874713.png
Oh I really love that fish, I’ve never seen one stocked anywhere but I’ll have a look online. And again, to be sure, this butterfly will be okay in 45 gallon? I don’t want to cram anything in there that shouldn’t be.

thank you!

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp for the aiptasia, just need to get the right genus. I had an aiptasia outbreak and they took care of all but one (for some reason) within a couple days.

Back