Aiptasia can live anywhere!!! Amazing...

dhof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a mantis tank, that gets light from my bedroom ceiling fan for about 4 hours a day. The mantis is happy, living in what I call the dead reef.

But lo and behold aiptasia!!!! Not even algae can grow in this tank..... it’s been up since January with NO LIGHT!!!

I am going to leave it in the tank, because it’s earned it’s right lol.

FCDE6470-E391-4488-9432-54EB04A12872.jpeg C54FE51E-B7BE-4D32-8ED3-B471BFA98B1A.jpeg 5AC22937-99DC-4342-8868-3D0A777ABB9B.jpeg
Just for fun once, I took an aiptasia out of my tank, put it in a beaker full of saltwater, put a rubber stopper on top, and it sat on my desk for at least 4 months and was still alive and well. No heat. No light. No nutrients. They should take these things to Mars....

Next time I’ll loop Country music 24x7 and I’m sure it’ll give up and wither away in a few days. Lol.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with duckweed man. People tryna stop co2 with kelp when it’s gonna nuke the ocean with organics after it decomposes. Just use duckweed. tilapia and duckweed, tilapia eat duckweed tilapia poop go to duckweed and co2 go to duckweed we eat tilapia and duckweed less Co2

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for fun once, I took an aiptasia out of my tank, put it in a beaker full of saltwater, put a rubber stopper on top, and it sat on my desk for at least 4 months and was still alive and well. No heat. No light. No nutrients. They should take these things to Mars....

Next time I’ll loop Country music 24x7 and I’m sure it’ll give up and wither away in a few days. Lol.
That’s insane, I didn’t realize they could live through something like that.. holy cow and a peppermint shrimp/file fish is all it takes lol, whatever. there will be one hiding under a rock somewhere, if you ever take it out.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s insane, I didn’t realize they could live through something like that.. holy cow and a peppermint shrimp/file fish is all it takes lol, whatever. there will be one hiding under a rock somewhere, if you ever take it out.
On on peppermint #4&5 still no dice.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On on peppermint #4&5 still no dice.
Buy them from a different store.. crazy I always hear these stories. I have bought three peppermint shrimp for my reef and all three love to eat aiptasia. I was told by the fish store it matters where they harvested the shrimp. They said they always buy from the same source because of their high success with aiptasia eating peppermint shrimp. Obviously creates returning customers.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy them from a different store.. crazy I always hear these stories. I have bought three peppermint shrimp for my reef and all three love to eat aiptasia. I was told by the fish store it matters where they harvested the shrimp. They said they always buy from the same source because of their high success with aiptasia eating peppermint shrimp. Obviously creates returning customers.
That was my thought as well. Bought two sets from three sources. Just saying as you already know, they aren't a sure thing.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if this is aiptasia? It was a hitchhiker on a hermit crab, now there’s about a hundred of them that keep popping up. They look like mini bubble anemones with green bubbles.
It looks like a ball nem, which is actually a mushroom and not a nem.

The other option would be a mojano although I haven't found the colorful ones to reproduce fast.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they need to extract the aiptasia's gene and insert it into all stony corals and repopulate the great barrier reef.

yah but then the pest SPS would be super common and easy and they would hitchhike into our tanks and start stinging and killing all our rare LPS and soft corals.

Djkarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% not aiptasia. No idea what it is. Sure someone els here knows, if not already mentioned.

weird looking thing, has tips like a torch.
Lol! I have them all over the place and I’ve been super glueing them! I have no idea what they are and I can’t find anything about them!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here it is under white light, this one is about 6 months old, they don’t get very big.
24B2ECEF-26B1-4083-A27B-78C200A72E1B.jpeg

Looks like Ball nem (mushroom)

It's on this list:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back