Aiptasia consuming Nudi's and what not to put them in with

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to get some Berghia nudibranchs to pick off a few Aiptasia. I am pretty sure several of the Reef safe wrasses will eat them ( 6 line and such). Would they be safe with smaller blennies and say Fairy wrasses? Are there any other types of fish or inverts I would or should shy away from?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to get some Berghia nudibranchs to pick off a few Aiptasia. I am pretty sure several of the Reef safe wrasses will eat them ( 6 line and such). Would they be safe with smaller blennies and say Fairy wrasses? Are there any other types of fish or inverts I would or should shy away from?

I think it's pretty much wrasses, but pods can also eat the nudi's egg sacks.

Call Ryan at Salty Underground and let him know all your specs, including fish and inverts.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I have had were my Scarlett Skunk Cleaner Shrimp eating them. I have yet to see my Pintail Fairy Wrasse eat them. I do know Peppermint Shrimp will eat them because they also like Aiptasia and the Berghia taste like aiptasia.

OP
OP
Anchor

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is starting to sound like I will want the Peppermint shrimp. I was concerned that I would get them and they would decide not to eat the Aiptasia as I know the Berghia do EAT them

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen several thread about peppermint shrimp not eating aiptasia. It seems to be hit or miss, where berghia its not as they only eat aptasia. I just added 10 and will probably add a few more as I am SLIGHTLY IMPATIENT, LOL!!!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is starting to sound like I will want the Peppermint shrimp. I was concerned that I would get them and they would decide not to eat the Aiptasia as I know the Berghia do EAT them

Pep. shrimps have be known to attack (eat) fleshly type corals, like lps species.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this apply more even then sofites or is it about the same? Don't know, so I ask..

I'm not sure about softies, but they have been know to hit LPS and Chalice type corals.

I've always used the nudis in a main display.

Be sure to get the species that Algae Barn or LiveAquaria sells.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a Melanurus wrasse and a Green Coris Wrasse; they never bothered my nudibranchs. I spoke to reeftown and they also confirmed that if a wrasse is going to eat one, it will probably just do it once and learn they taste horrible to the fish. I think peppermint shrimp and file fish are the ones you watch for (anything that also eats Apstaisa).

btw, my nudibranchs demolished my infestation in 3 months. I bought 15 of these guys for my 300 and they took out an army.

OP
OP
Anchor

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Melanurus wrasse and a Green Coris Wrasse; they never bothered my nudibranchs. I spoke to reeftown and they also confirmed that if a wrasse is going to eat one, it will probably just do it once and learn they taste horrible to the fish. I think peppermint shrimp and file fish are the ones you watch for (anything that also eats Apstaisa).

btw, my nudibranchs demolished my infestation in 3 months. I bought 15 of these guys for my 300 and they took out an army.
That had not occurred to me.. Glad you brought it up

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this apply more even then sofites or is it about the same? Don't know, so I ask..
There are different types of peppermint shrimp. You have to get Lysmata wurdemanni. I bought two and they work in pairs to dismantle aiptasia. They do eat LPS. I’ve seen them on my toadstool picking at it but they didn’t eat it. They seem to prefer fleshy LPS like acans. Typically they tend to eat newly introduced LPS for me and leave others alone. They always pick at my dendros as they’re out at night when the shrimp are out and about. But honestly, I am ok with them picking at corals as long as aiptasia is contained. I target feed them when I feed the fish and they love to eat. I guess this mostly keeps them happy.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back