Aiptasia contamination question

Courtster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put marine pure from two tanks into one bucket without thinking. One tank had aiptasia, the other didn't. Since the media was in an unlit portion of the sump, it didn't have any visible aiptasia, but the refugium in the sump did. I want to reuse the media as its well established, but do I need to worry about aiptasia carrying over on it? I know it can survive without light, but the media is cycling in a bucket of fresh saltwater, and only using Dr Tims ammonia to keep the bacteria fed. Would it be safe to reuse, and how long should I wait if I did want to resuse it?

Thanks

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should assume it's infected. Just the act of disturbing the aiptasia can cause them to release gametes into the water, leading to cross contamination. I would give it a fresh water soak, air dry it for a few days and then reseed it.

OP
OP
Courtster

Courtster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about heat? Could I heat the bucket water up to kill off any possible contamination without seriously harming the bacteria?

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where there is life anything is possible. I would not take the chance. Just my two cents worth.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had aipatasia end up on a tank that was dry for months and all brand new sand and rock added. Just to give you an idea how hardy it is.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back