Aiptasia - Course of action?

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple months after I started up my tank from dry rock, my buddy gave me a piece of his rock from his established tank of 2.5 years for diversity. I had recently noticed 3-4 aiptasia pop up on that specific rock and no where else. It has been there for 6-7 months. It has a ton of feather dusters on it as well. I bought a peppermint shrimp to try to combat this naturally but I know there is only a chance it will eat the aiptasia. My tank is a 180g so I know I need more than one peppermint shrimp likely to increase odds but that is all my LFS had at the moment. They said it was the correct variety of peppermint shrimp too.

Is there any chance that the Aiptasia is currently contained on that rock?

Should I toss the rock?

Suggestions?

IMG_0296.jpg

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the rock. I too have a 180 g tank. A perfect size for a Copper Banded Butterfly fish. Mine devoured about 8 aptasia. That was 3 or so years ago. Beautiful fish, very thorough. Good luck. :)

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper bands and peppermint shrimp worked for me in the past.

bergdia nudibrach if your inclined.

or of coarse joes juice or aptasia x

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get aiptasia file fish and it will be over

How about after the Aiptasia is gone? Are they going to bother corals?

Keep the rock. I too have a 180 g tank. A perfect size for a Copper Banded Butterfly fish. Mine devoured about 8 aptasia. That was 3 or so years ago. Beautiful fish, very thorough. Good luck. :)

So, not to begin a debate because I am not interested in debating lol, I have 5 tangs in my tank. Adding another decently sized fish like a copper band makes me cautious as I am already pushing past limits/recommendations. It has crossed my mind though.

Copper bands and peppermint shrimp worked for me in the past.

bergdia nudibrach if your inclined.

or of coarse joes juice or aptasia x

How many peppermint shrimp do you think I should have in my tank to help with this problem? Are you hesitant to using Berghia nudibranch?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about after the Aiptasia is gone? Are they going to bother corals?

So, not to begin a debate because I am not interested in debating lol, I have 5 tangs in my tank. Adding another decently sized fish like a copper band makes me cautious as I am already pushing past limits/recommendations. It has crossed my mind though.

How many peppermint shrimp do you think I should have in my tank to help with this problem? Are you hesitant to using Berghia nudibranch?
I hear you! I’ve got 3 large Tangs with the Copper Banded Butterfly. 5 might be too many.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just as an update, the peppermint shrimp don't seem to be doing crap. I am pretty sure they are the correct subspecies too. Also, now, I noticed a little bit of bubble algae only on the rock with Aiptasia which happens to be the rock I got from my buddy's established system. Should I toss this rock at this point? Or should I go the nudibranch method for the Aiptasia and buy an emerald or two for the algae?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched a BRS video on this topic. Do you have high flow in your system? Does the peppermint hang out on the rock with aiptasia? The video said that if you have a higher flow tank, peppermints wont travel much. They suggested to turn your flow down at night for a little bit to see if that would tempt the peppermint to travel.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I currently have low flow in my tank. I actually need more as I start to add sps to my tank soon. He comes out at night all over the place but never seen him him near the aiptasia.

Hdgutierrez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally recommend using aptasia x to get rid of the larger aptasia that peppermints are unable to eat. Once the big ones are gone, make sure you have a few peppermints for preventative measures. Theyll eat the baby aptasias before youll even notice them.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The berghia absolutely demolished the aiptasia in our dwarf seahorse tank. We didn't want to dose anything and superglue hadn't been effective in maintaining them. In a 180 you'd need to put them pretty much right at the base of the aiptasia (note not ON the nems as the poor guys would get eaten by them...)

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The berghia absolutely demolished the aiptasia in our dwarf seahorse tank. We didn't want to dose anything and superglue hadn't been effective in maintaining them. In a 180 you'd need to put them pretty much right at the base of the aiptasia (note not ON the nems as the poor guys would get eaten by them...)
Do I need more than one? And anywhere reliable to get them online?

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need more than one? And anywhere reliable to get them online?
They hunt in packs, so get at least 3. More if your aiptasia problem gets out of hand. They will starve to death unless you are able to find more aiptasia for them to eat though. I got mine from SaltyUnderground (free shipping over $75.) They restock pretty quickly.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back