Aiptasia: Do you ever just leave them alone? What happens if you do?

BRS

Have you ever just left aiptasia alone in your tank?

• Yes and they multiplied beyond control

Votes: 160 28.2%
  • Yes and they seemed to stay the same

Votes: 91 16.0%
  • Yes and they started to diminish over time

Votes: 33 5.8%
  • No, I remove quickly

Votes: 231 40.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 52 9.2%

• Total voters

Gail Allen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Today I spotted two in the tank so ordered a couple of berghias. But today, I scrubbed one off the back of a Montipora plate with a toothbrush. I killed the other with a shot of lemon juice. "They don't like it up 'em, Captain Mainwaring! They don't like it up'em!"
Scrubbing them all can cause an explosion. If you noticed when you scrubbed it bits and pieces went around it only needs one cell to reproduce. Be careful with that approach, actually I’d say don’t ever do it again. Peppermint shrimp Think of Tasia is a delicacy and I’ll clean it all up and if you get real peppermint shrimp from Florida they will not bother your corals. Google peppermint shrimp and you’ll see there’s different varieties and some are coral friendly and some are coral eaters get the right one and you’ll be happy with the results and they’re fun to have as part of your cleanup crew. Colorful, entertaining to watch and get along with everybody

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
So I had some aptasia popping up all over the place on the rocks In my 120. I pulled the filefish from my cube and dropped it into the 120 2 days ago. I had trouble finding 1 or 2 aptasia this morning. It eats them like candy!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Moana for the win!

Attachments

• 20211212_162130.jpg
    20211212_162130.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 14

natitasha

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi, I was wondering when did any of you notice copperband nipping at aiptasia? I recently got one, he seems to be doing well, very active swimming around, eating well from the first meal but so far no aiptasia nipping behaviour. Is that something that will come with time or if he hasn't started yet he might never go for it?

Blknovass

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi, I was wondering when did any of you notice copperband nipping at aiptasia? I recently got one, he seems to be doing well, very active swimming around, eating well from the first meal but so far no aiptasia nipping behaviour. Is that something that will come with time or if he hasn't started yet he might never go for it?
When it comes to fish and inverts no two are the same. Some do it right away and others never do.

zheka757

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
copperband naturally eat aiptasia in wild, so its just matter of time before they do in our aquariums, also from personal observation, i noticed copperband start off with smallest aiptasia first then move on to the larger size.

ssww21

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I've had a few in my refugiums and one in a cannister filter a year or two ago. I've always scraped them out when I see them but they've never spread in my tank.

On the flip side of that is the fact that no nems seem to survive in my tank. I've tried 3 BTAs and a Condi and none of them have made it more than 3-4 months. Nothing is eating them, they just shrink and disappear.
I wish I had the same problem. They keep splitting and moving over my corals. I would never add a nem to my tank if I started over. Over the last 5 years I think that I have removed over 25.

BRS

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 105 24.9%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 215 51.1%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 30 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 1.2%
AF