Aiptasia eating Berghia Nudibranchs - Questions, Answers, Discussion

Discussion in 'Reef Town' started by Reeftown, Apr 17, 2017.

1. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Good discussion.

2. 125mph

125mph Well-Known Member

I just received my 10 nudi's today... packed well and all 10 appear to be alive.. They're in my tank's rockwork now.. hope they start getting to work!

3. Susan Bates

Susan Bates Well-Known Member

I live in Australia , where would i find these, as i have a bad aiptasia problem, please help

4. Reeftown

Reeftown Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Sorry we do not have any Lynx Nudibranchs

5. Reeftown

Well that is not actually true. I have had tons of people who have had success with wrasses in their tanks.
    Wrasses (except for fairy wrasses & cleaners) tend to be major pickers on the Live Rock of invertebrates and therefore, COULD end up eating a berghia or two. However, the big upside is that, they have opposite "sleep/wake cycles" . Since Berghia are nocturnal the wrasses are typically under the sand before they emerge to forage. Also, if a wrasse were to happen upon and eat a Berghia, it will taste like a hot jalapeño (because it incorporates the nematocysts of the aiptasia in their tissues) and he will most likely spit it out. It will unfortunately probably kill the one it spits out but unlikely to eat another (they have good memories). Remember, anything that CAN eat an Aiptasia, CAN eat a Berghia. I just recommend getting a couple "sacrificial" Berghia, so you will still have sufficient quantities to do the job and take care when introducing them in the tank, i.e. feed the tank well and put your wrasses to bed with lights out.

6. Reeftown

Sorry at present we are not shipping abroad.

7. GoVols

GoVols GRUMORS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Just ordered (25) 1/2" Berghia Nudibranch's.

Hopefully they will do the job as they did in 2012. :)

MrMichael likes this.
  8. Reeftown

Thank you for your order...Did you put that you were a R2R member so I can give you a gift?

9. 125mph

125mph Well-Known Member

I've had an aiptasia problem for about 5 years now... I've tried controlling the issue with the chemical treatments but they always came back in large numbers. Eventually I got tired and just let them grow.

About two weeks ago, I ordered 10 nudi's for my 180G. I thought I may be throwing away money cause I have a 3.5" chrismas wrasse.. Well, it worked! The wrasse didn't care of the nudi's and as of yesterday I cannot visibly see any aiptasia in the tank. I still see the nudi's moving around so hopefully they will get the last bit of all the hidden aiptasia. I thought this was going to take a few months but wow 2 weeks.

Overall, VERY IMPRESSED!

Sabellafella likes this.
  10. 125mph

125mph Well-Known Member

Lol you erradicated them 5 years ago and ended up letting them back in? Shame ;Sorry

GoVols likes this.
  11. GoVols

GoVols GRUMORS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

(lol)!!!!!!!
    Five years is a pretty good run. :)

MrMichael likes this.
  12. csb123

csb123 Well-Known Member

Hey folks, I bought 30 medium berghia for my 300 gal Reef one months ago. It has a heavy infestation of aiptasia which has only gotten heavier. I do have a Christmas and melanarus wrasse.

When would I consider getting more nudis to ensure a reproducing population?

13. Reeftown

14. Reeftown

It is more common NOT to see them again than to see them, at least until they have eliminated the aiptasia and are out looking for food. Berghia are nocturnal, thus if you were to see them it would be at night, and very seldom during daylight hours. They are tucked away in the crevices of your rocks, because that’s where the aiptasia bases are found. The Berghia you have put in are only your Breeder’s. Aiptasia populations typically get worse before they get better, because no one has told the Aiptasia to stop reproducing since we have Berghia present. It will require 2-4 months to eradicate the Aiptasia population. It will be when the Berghia population reaches “Critical Mass” i.e. when there are approximately 10-20 Berghia per Aiptasia. Note, the size of the Berghia at this juncture is approximately 1mm or less. Then it will happen similar to the Nitrogen Cycle’s (NO2), you will come in one day and say “Hey, what happened to all the Aiptasia?” Once the Aiptasia have been eliminated, it is possible to see Berghia cruising around (even in daylight) in search of food the rest will starveL

15. Salty1962

Salty1962 Wrasse and SPS Lover R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I love them, had an over growth issue with the sump and overflow. I ordered 4 and the were tiny, < 1/4" long. I noticed my sump first getting rid of the aiptasia. I started to notice them in my over flow sock, @ 3~4, and picked them off and placed them back in the sump. I was doing my weekly maintenance and noticed my over flow was almost completely clear of them. So it took mine 2 months to get me where I don't see aiptasia anymore. They do work, multiply and rid your tank of the pests. My wrasses don't even give them a second look. IMHO they're worth the $$ if you have decent sized issues.

16. csb123

csb123 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the input. Its refreshing to have a vendor with such integrity, that doesn't try to sell me something I don't really need.

I'll hold my horses and let the magic happen:)

17. Titan

Titan Well-Known Member

I have a 220 gallon display tank that is starting to have a fair amount of aiptasia's in it. I have bought peppermint shrimp in the past that have taken care of the problem. The problem is now I have a wrasse that kills the peppermint shrimp. Just wondering if you think he would do the same thing to these nudibranchs. Would hate to spend $300 on some and just have an expensive meal for my wrasse. Let me know what you think.

18. Reeftown

So sorry I didn't respond sooner, for some reason I didn't see this.
    Wrasses (except for fairy wrasses & cleaners) tend to be major pickers on the Live Rock of invertebrates and therefore, COULD end up eating a berghia but it will taste like a hot jalapeño (because it incorporates the nematocysts of the aiptasia in their tissues) and he will likely spit it back out. It will unfortunately kill the one he spit out but unlikely to eat another, unless of course he's a Mexican Wrasse ;Happy (that's a joke). However, the big upside is that, they have opposite "sleep/wake cycles" . Since Berghia are nocturnal the wrasses are typically under the sand before they emerge to forage. Many clients have reported having success with wrasses present. I just recommend maybe getting a couple "sacrificial" Berghia, so you will still have sufficient quantities to do the job.

19. madehtsobi0109

madehtsobi0109 Well-Known Member

I have a 400 with decent amount of Pukani rockwork so lots of holes n crevices. But not that many aips that i can see. They will just pop up every now n then.

How many days can the nudis go without eating Aips??

20. Reeftown

If your Aiptasia are not doing any harm to your tank and there is just a few I would recommend you do nothing. I mean don't even look at them crosseyed. Wait till they become a nuisance and then go after them with Berghia. Typically a Berghia can go about 7 days before starving. He will just get smaller and smaller until he dies.

Draft saved Draft deleted