Aiptasia eating Berghia Nudibranchs - Questions, Answers, Discussion

Discussion in 'Reef Town' started by Reeftown, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Abhishek

Abhishek Well-Known Member

How do they fare in very high flow acropora only tanks? Am having quite a large population of aiptasia and thinking of getting around 10 for my 70 gallon tank.

Regards,
    Abhishek

GoVols likes this.

2. GoVols

GoVols GRUMORS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

You need to buy at least the 1/2" size or 3/4" for your setup.
    If you've got serious flow, I'd buy the 3/4" and reduce your flow after lights out.

Good Luck :)

MrMichael and Abhishek like this.
  3. Reeftown

Reeftown Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I agree with you with one exception, I don't feel it necessary to reduce your flow after the lights are out because the Berghia live and eat deep in the rocks where the Aiptasia's base is. That is where they actually eat the Aiptasia from the base up. You would be surprised how well these little buggers can hold on. Further, once they begin reproduction the babies are microscopic and not really affected by the flow. That all being said, any steps taken to increase the chances of survival and success of the Berghia are well worth the effort, provided they do not harm your tank in any way.

Abhishek and GoVols like this.
  4. GoVols

GoVols GRUMORS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes,
    I wrote the article and thanks for the incite.
    My nudi's ate from the base up (pulling the aiptasia down into the live rock) and I never saw the nudi's (again) until it was almost over.

If your a Reef2Reef sponsor and you sell the Berghia, then feel free to help others on the article thread :)
    https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/berghia-nudibranchs-for-the-dreaded-aiptasia-anemone.365/

Freddie

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  5. Reeftown

Freddie,
    Nice article. Only thing I might disagree with is the Berghia's need for high water quality. In my experience this is not the case. Only that they are acclimated into it slowly. If you think about it, since the Berghia's only diet is Aiptasia, it would hold logical that they could survive in the conditions that the Aiptasia flourish in. Those are high nutrient environments with varying water quality parameters. Believe me, as an aquaculturist of Berghia, I have put them through the ringer at times. Thank you for all your insite, articles and responses. When I started this thread I wanted it to be a discussion for all, not to be MY thread. I feel everyone has insite and information to help complete the little known etiology of the Berghia. I only wish I would have put it in the Discussions section of this forum, instead of a sponsored thread. Everyone's experience and thoughts are important. Please carry on.

GoVols likes this.
  6. GoVols

Thanks for your expertise.

7. Shadowspop

Shadowspop Well-Known Member

If you turn your flow way down until they grab onto something they should be fine. Every now and then, one if mine would get blown off, a fish might take a taste, but leave it alone. Turn the flow off, let it land and it should just walk away..

Reeftown likes this.
  8. Reeftown

Anything that works, but they are not really that sensitive to flow to stress yourself over. Typically they will overcome. One big point of putting Berghia in your system is to stop stressing over the Aiptasia and move forward. The more you obsess the better chance you will do something that will cause the Aiptasia to reproduce even more. Forget about them and think about what you are going to do when the Aiptasia are gone. Life is too short to stress over everything.

9. Chevyaddiction

Chevyaddiction Well-Known Member

Any deals right now on them?

10. Reeftown

Running 30% off but don't know how long it will be on.

DSC reef likes this.
  11. Chevyaddiction

Awesome. I have a frag tank, about 20 gallons, and the refugium part of my sump, maybe 4 gallons, with aptasia, cannot find one at all in display tank.

What would you recommend in this situation?

12. Chevyaddiction

Also, you say they hide in the rock, what about if the aptasia are in the sand of my refugium and on the rock? They will go for the ones in the sand right?

13. Reeftown

Do nothing. They will not reproduce in your refugium to go in the display unless you stress them. Don't make them send out planulae larvae and they shouldn't be in your display.

DSC reef likes this.
  14. Chevyaddiction

But they are in my frag tank. I should have explained better. Frag tank and refugium have aptasia. Display, which is 150 gallons, has none. Both tanks connected to a common sump.

15. aaron23

aaron23 Well-Known Member

How long does it take the eggs to grow into matured nudis to eat aiptasia and what do the newly hatched berghia eat? @Reeftown

16. Reeftown

Of course they will

17. Reeftown

So the frag tank is the one that needs to be cleared! What is size of frag tank and refugium?

18. Chevyaddiction

Frag tank is around 20 gallons and the sump, which also has aptasia, is around 4 gallons.

19. Reeftown

It takes about 8 weeks for the newly hatched Berghia to reach adult maturity. The babies typically eat the scraps from the adults.

20. Reeftown

I would put 4-5 medium berghia in the frag tank and when it is clear put the Berghia you can find in the refugium.

Draft saved Draft deleted