Aiptasia eating Berghia Nudibranchs - Questions, Answers, Discussion

Discussion in 'Reef Town' started by Reeftown, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Chevyaddiction

Chevyaddiction Active Member

Ok. Will place an order for next week. If I put 6 or 8, would it speed up the process?

2. Reeftown

Reeftown Active Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Yes, as it increases their reproduction exponentially.

3. Reeftown

An FYI, we are shipping Wed for Thurs delivery this week, if you get your order in.

4. Abhishek

Abhishek Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

Hi,

Could you tell me how long should we wait for introducing Berghia Nudibranchs after we have used RedSea Aiptasia X in tank to kill some aiptasia ?
    Also, if we order some eggs, should we hatch then first before even putting them in tank ?

Regards,
    Abhishek

5. Reeftown

If you have used a chemical on Aiptasia you should wait a coupla weeks for them to depurate out any chemical remains. If the Berghia were to eat an Aiptasia that had been treated prior to depuration it could possibly kill it.
    As far as eggs are concerned, if you purchase some you should put them in a crevice of a rock in the display. however, it is better to just get plenty of berghia because each medium (adult) lays 1 egg whorl EVERY 1-3 days. Much more cost effective.

6. Jaag

Jaag Active Member

I have a quick question. Will your nudis also eat majano?

7. ChiCity

ChiCity Valuable Member R2R Supporter

No

8. Cronicreefer

Cronicreefer Active Member

So basically you are saying if I have killed aiptasia with Aiptasia-X and that aiptasia regrows, it has the potential to kill a berghia if it is then eaten?
    Also, is it possible for berghia to eat aiptasia growing out of a sugar grain sized sandbed? My snails have trouble crawling across my sandbed and get stuck on their shells all the time so I'm wondering if this will prevent the berghia from being able to eat the aiptasia properly in my sand bed.

9. Shadowspop

Shadowspop Active Member

Yes, and yes. If you zap the aiptasia with Aiptaisia X and it comes back, it may be toxic to the nudies. If you want to zap them, I would try lemon juice or boiling water first. The nudies will be able to take care of any aiptaisia on the sand bed. I had several in my sand and they were all taken out by Berghia.

10. fredjr

fredjr Active Member

Hey are you still running deals on the Berghia Nudibranch?

nashorn likes this.
  11. Reeftown

Yes, 30% off now....just go to www.Reeftown.com
    Sorry, I didn't see this question earlier. #1 If you have used Aiptasia X etc on your Aiptasia, it is important to allow the chemical to depurate out of the Aiptasia prior to introducing the Berghia, because if a Berghia were to eat the chemical it would probably kill him, however, if you allow a coupla weeks to pass there should not be any residual chemical present to harm the Berghia, whether the Aiptasia were alive, dead or regrown. #2 Zapping the Aiptasia is not a chemical and if the Berghia went after a "Zapped" Aiptasia even minutes afterward they should not have any problems health wise. #3 Berghia will have no difficulty navigating your sandbed, however, if the Aiptasia bases are under the sand surface, which they probably are, the Berghia cannot burrow in the sand to eat them. Again sorry for the late reply

12. Reeftown

When I say Zapped, I am referring to the electronic Zapper that kills them by electricity and by the way causes them to reproduce exponentially even if the Aiptasia is killed.

13. reefluvrr

reefluvrr Member

I still have three big Aptasia on the side of my window. I assume the berghia won't touch them due to it being out in the open?? I also wondered if the berghia intentionally left them to make a sustainable food source...

14. Reeftown

The are on the glass so they haven't found them yet. You can scrape them off the glass with a razor blade while sucking them up with the pipette I provided you. Make sure you don't leave any of the base behind. One cell of basal disc can grow a new aiptasia. They did not leave it to keep a food source, not how they work, they are not that smart.

15. wattson

wattson Well-Known Member

looking to buy a group of bergies,,can I place my order tomorrow and you can ship this week ?
    aslo, is sale price still effective tomorrow ?

16. Reeftown

Yes, we will be shipping Wed Jan 3 for Thurs Jan 4 delivery this week. If you place order tomorrow it will not be too late, but you will need to respond to my emails prior to shipping so keep a look out. Yes 30% off sale will still be in effect.

17. wattson

not a problem..
    also,,what size do you recommend if i wish to put some in my overflow part of my tank..I have some large appys in there with a screen on my overflow ? or do you think thats a bad idea all together /

18. Reeftown

We typically recommend a minimum of 1 (1/2" Medium Berghia) for each 10 gallons a tank capacity which should achieve success in about 3-4 months. More Berghia less time, less Berghia more time but NEVER LESS THAN 3 because Berghia are colonial hunters, colonial feeders and colonial breeders. This quantity, however, becomes difficult for the smaller Nano Reefs due to their colonial nature. They need each other, so you want to start with as many as you can. The larger your tank or the fewer Berghia you start with the harder it is for them to find each other to breed (it is their progeny and successive generations that is going to eliminate your problem). . We do not recommend small Berghia except as reinforcements to the minimum medium/Large Berghia we recommend. If Large Berghia are chosen, it will take less time because their egg whorls have up to 150 eggs and a Large Berghia can eat a medium Aiptasia without any help. It is, however, better to put the recommended quantity of small Berghia than just a few Large Berghia. So, if budget is the main concern, try to compile your order to end up with the recommended quantity or more. You can mix up sizes to accomplish your particular situation. When you acclimate them into your aquarium, it is likely you will never see them again, unless you frequent your aquarium at 3am with a flashlight. It will take between 3-4 months to eradicate your Aiptasia problem. Until that time, your Aiptasia population is likely to get worse and you may feel this was a waste of money. However, at about the 3-4 month period (sometimes sooner, sometimes later), when the Berghia population has reached “Critical Mass”, you will come home one day and say “Hey, what happened to all my Aiptasia”. It will literally happen that fast. Take note, the shipping is pretty much static for 1 Berghia or 15, so make the most out of the high cost of shipping, by not having to reorder.

19. wattson

Thank you ,,my order will be done tomorrow,,so you can ship this week ..

20. wattson

hello, how do you think about shipping to the northern united states this week ?
    temps are going to be 20 degrees and less all week ..
    Im planning to place my order today but am curious to hear your thoughts on shipping in these cold temps..

Draft saved Draft deleted