Aiptasia eating filefish in frag tank?

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above I’d love to have your opinions on whether having an aiptasia eating filefish in my frag tank is a crazy idea or not? I have a few aiptasia here and there around frag plugs etc and have a filefish in my quarantine system that I know for a fact demolishes aiptasia. Corals in my frag system are mostly Acropora, montipora, Goniopora and Seriatopora. I will however be filling it with Acropora from here on in so they are my main concern.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s about 400 litres including the large sump.
EBE06F66-6A58-4901-9BB0-363B581D1480.jpeg

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of room! Might even be enough to have 2.

I would also look into getting some peppermint shrink, incase the filefish misses some. ;)

Beautiful setup!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a filefish in a frag system is a fine idea. I keep some peppermints in mine. I feel like they help, but they cannot deal with my flow level very well. So the aiptasia that I do have tend to live only in the high flow sections, or directly under my MP40s. Or in the overflows.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of room! Might even be enough to have 2.

I would also look into getting some peppermint shrink, incase the filefish misses some. ;)

Beautiful setup!
Thank you so much for the kind words! Really appreciate it. Do you think the filefish will be safe in there with regards to munching corals? Check out my build thread if you like what you see! There’s more.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a filefish in a frag system is a fine idea. I keep some peppermints in mine. I feel like they help, but they cannot deal with my flow level very well. So the aiptasia that I do have tend to live only in the high flow sections, or directly under my MP40s. Or in the overflows.
I have really struggled to get true peppermints here in Scotland. The filefish I have in my larger tank jumped into my weir a few months back which had an aiptasia forest and he ate every last one of possibly thousands before I noticed he was missing and I checked in the weir. He did an amazing job!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have really struggled to get true peppermints here in Scotland. The filefish I have in my larger tank jumped into my weir a few months back which had an aiptasia forest and he ate every last one of possibly thousands before I noticed he was missing and I checked in the weir. He did an amazing job!
That is a great story with a happy ending. He could just smell them on the other side of the weir wall.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great story with a happy ending. He could just smell them on the other side of the weir wall.
I was over the moon to have found him safe but to see how fat and healthy he was having lived in there for weeks and how clean the weir was…what a win! He is happily back in the tank now only dreaming of his next trip in there

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you search the forum you will find plenty of post where aiptasia eating filefish are munching corals. Do they eat aiptasia? Yes, sometimes. Some don't bother. Aiptasia is something they eat typically when better options aren't available. I'm guessing it will find that selection of coral more appealing. They aren't truly reef safe. Depending on the size of some of the frags, they may be eaten completely. In a large tank with established corals the damage from a single fish isn't as noticeable but remember, these are small frags you're trying to establish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you search the forum you will find plenty of post where aiptasia eating filefish are munching corals. Do they eat aiptasia? Yes, sometimes. Some don't bother. Aiptasia is something they eat typically when better options aren't available. I'm guessing it will find that selection of coral more appealing. They aren't truly reef safe. Depending on the size of some of the frags, they may be eaten completely. In a large tank with established corals the damage from a single fish isn't as noticeable but remember, these are frags you're trying to establish.
Thank you for your input. This is exactly my fear. Having had some disasters in the past with my corals (other people making mistakes) I am terrified of all of this time, effort and money going to waste. Of course the biggest negative is the animals coming to harm. I guess it is a risk no matter how you look at it.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t run that risk. I’m over the moon with a centimetre of growth on my acros so for a fish to eat that overnight…nope.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find true peppermint shrimp, that would be the safest option.

Have you tried ordering online?
I haven’t as I try to support my local LFS as much as I can. With coronavirus even more so. I may have to though if they just can’t supply.

Last edited:
Back