Aiptasia found in frag tank

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have a small AIO 15 gallon frag tank that has roughly 55 frags in it. All frags have been in there for 45-90 days (fishless). Tonight I noticed 1 Aiptasia on the carbon reactor pump so I removed the pump. What should I do now? I was getting ready to move some of the coral to my DT but I’m now scared I may move some pest to the DT. I did not see any others in the tank and I looked everywhere. What is everyone recommendations?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe keep them all just a little longer in the frag tank to observe for any new aptasia growth.

josh childs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly I never recommend aiptasia x but in this case I would. I normally don't reccomned it because in displays if the aiptasia dies and shoots their babies everywhere but in such a small tank id say go for it. easy to maintain in a small tank rather than a large display.

OP
OP
Badilac

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will keep it all in the frag tank for longer. I was thinking the same thing if there’s one there’s more and it came from somewhere. I know I don’t see any now but I sure as hell don’t want any in my DT. I guess I’ll buy some aipX just Incase I see more.

josh childs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id use it anyway. possibly get a filefish too. I just put one in my dt and it wiped it clean in a day or two. granted I only saw a couple.

Eric81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing is with it being a frag tank, you can remove most Aiptasia from the tank and cut/scrape it off. I would get a couple of Peppermint Shrimp for insurance.

I had a small frag tank, that I didn't add anything to for about 6 months...just growing out. All of the sudden, Aiptasia started randomly popping up. Crazy how those things can just appear...

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia is a form of anemone. As with any anemone if you irritate it it will split. Kalk works sometimes but it's hit or miss. The other cures Aiptasia X, F aiptasia, lasers etc work temporarily but usually causes them to split and multiply. Peppermint shrimp are another hit or miss. The only thing I've found that actually works is a filefish. In my experience an ORA aiptasia eating filefish works.

Again this is MY Experience with aiptasia, others have had success with other methods. I've found that filefish are shy and feed at night and aiptasia doesn't vanish overnight. Mine have taken up to two weeks before we've noticed that aiptasia has vanished. Since adding filefish the only aiptasia I have is small batches in sump and I've grabbed them and dropped in DT to find filefish grabbing them as soon as they hit the water. My filefish are model citizens around other corals and enjoy the occasional treat from the sump.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For further and future insurance against aiptasia in the DT, pop a handful of REAL PEPPERMINT shrimp in there. You may have to replace them now and again as everyone seems to prey on them. But they will get it done on SMALL aiptasia.

For LARGE aiptasia:
all pumps off.
syringe of kalk paste (calcium hydroxide in a thick mixture with RO water)
slowly and completely SMOTHER the large aiptasia filling the mouth first. (caution, this can raise pH in small tanks)
set a timer as reminder to turn pumps back on in 30 mins.

As has been reported before, filefish will work too, but then IME they turn to eating things you don't want them to.

LukeM1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used the majano wand for the large aiptasia and the peppermint shrimp to eat the small stuff. Seems to be a winning combo...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back