Aiptasia ID?

dzeleski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a few frags online a few days ago. I unfortunately do not have a QT frag tank so I have to use my display, I keep these on the front glass for a few weeks and dip as required but I noticed something on my pink cheetah zoa that looks like aiptasia but wasnt sure as it seems to be a baby. I ended up removing the frag from the tank and crazy gluing over the entire area and the area around it.

Is this actually aiptasia? You can see what I believe is aiptasia in between the two closest polyps. I guess ill need to keep an eye out on the other frags for more of them. Any idea on how long I should wait for others to pop up?

Thanks!

20201214_213516386_iOS.jpg 20201214_213520118_iOS.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove plug from tank, take a syringe and mix up some kalk paste. Lemon juice or vinegar will work also.

Very carefully inject either directly into the center of the aip. Wait a minute or 2 and then rinse the plug in some tank water in a bowl. Then scrape the plug in that area a little and rinse again in more tank water in a bowl.

After that, place back in tank and monitor.

Just be sure you do it out of the tank and discard the water in bowls. If it does kick out spores, it will be in the bowl water and not the tank water.

OP
OP
D

dzeleski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove plug from tank, take a syringe and mix up some kalk paste. Lemon juice or vinegar will work also.

Very carefully inject either directly into the center of the aip. Wait a minute or 2 and then rinse the plug in some tank water in a bowl. Then scrape the plug in that area a little and rinse again in more tank water in a bowl.

After that, place back in tank and monitor.

Just be sure you do it out of the tank and discard the water in bowls. If it does kick out spores, it will be in the bowl water and not the tank water.

I already removed it and covered it up with crazy glue. Should I take it back out and just run some lemon juice over the area for good measure? Thanks!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already removed it and covered it up with crazy glue. Should I take it back out and just run some lemon juice over the area for good measure? Thanks!
That works also. And lemon juice not needed. Hopefully you removed it out of the tank and rinsed out of the tank.

Edit: if you removed and covered with glue, but didn’t scrape the aip, them you should be good as well. Just monitor it to make sure it doesn’t find a void to pop back out of.

OP
OP
D

dzeleski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works also. And lemon juice not needed. Hopefully you removed it out of the tank and rinsed out of the tank.

Edit: if you removed and covered with glue, but didn’t scrape the aip, them you should be good as well. Just monitor it to make sure it doesn’t find a void to pop back out of.

It is currently back in the display tank, I dont have another tank with lighting sufficient for corals. It was dipped in CoralRx and Revive before it was added. I also rinsed the plug off after the glue before putting it back in the tank to make sure the glue hardened over the area correctly.

I did not scrape or touch it in any way other then putting glue over the area. Ill keep an eye on it and probably leave it in the frag rack longer then I usually would just to be sure. Thanks again!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is currently back in the display tank, I dont have another tank with lighting sufficient for corals. It was dipped in CoralRx and Revive before it was added. I also rinsed the plug off after the glue before putting it back in the tank to make sure the glue hardened over the area correctly.

I did not scrape or touch it in any way other then putting glue over the area. Ill keep an eye on it and probably leave it in the frag rack longer then I usually would just to be sure. Thanks again!
You should be fine then. When damaged aip releases spores. Removing from tank is like a tide shift out, which happens to aip in the wild, so it probably just retracted. Then gluing over solved the problem. Rinsing outside of tank should have removed any spores, if it released during the glue, so hopefully all is good and you will see no more of the buggers.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Crazy glue will seal the deal
Kalkwasser powder mixed into a thin paste is my favorite

Back