Aiptasia in new tank

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new tank a few days ago with LR, and noticed a rock had aiptasia on it so I took it out and brushed the whole rock for a good 10 min and put it back a few hours l8r. Well that same rock has another one coming up.
What do I do ?

Here is a pic :

16286921412746010714708782127722.jpg

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its only one the one rock I'd take it out ASAP, however last time I tried to 'scrub' away aips they ended up spreading over the entire tank in no time so beware and keep your eyes out for any more.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Take rock out, chisel off a chunk where it's attached trying not to disturb the aiptaisia itself and try to get it off in one piece.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take rock out, chisel off a chunk where it's attached trying not to disturb the aiptaisia itself and try to get it off in one piece.
Think this is best idea.remove rock and get chisel/ screwdriver or something to chip/ scrape the rock away under where the aiptasia is so aiptasia still in one piece and wont release anything so more spread

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done it, and broke a bit more then I was hoping to break. Can I still use this piece of rock after making like a week of sitting out of water ?, I was thinking like a gsp island.

Attachments

• 20210811_154608.jpg
    20210811_154608.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 30

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to kill it you can make up some of this stuff (please be aware this is dangerous stuff!). I've pulled it from another forum I use and can confirm this stuff will kill almost anything

"I feel I need to share this with you all and if it stops just one person spreading aiptasia everywhere using aip x then good.

I had an issue after using aip x and wondered "if it contains what I suspected it did why it had no corrosive warning on it" , I guessed the answer was because it was a mild shadow of what is should be.

Looking for alternatives Eyore (on these forums) suggested I looked into NaOH..

So I did I messed for a while with concentrations and trying to get it to precipitate correctly when it was in the desired spot.

Anyhow you don't need to know the ins and outs. I came up with a working suspension that kills aiptasia dead 100% not to come back. You do not need to get it directly in the mouth just on the target and it's so dramatic and fast I've had no issues with lateral reproduction or 'spore release' (gamete release)

As a side note I've tried in on isoltated algae patches too and it nukes everything, oh and bryopsis on a rock I had too. Finally I've used on invasive corals to kill just a few polyps of them when they start to encroach.

As people don't have access to lab chemicals I have come up with a guide of how to make it using what can be bought online.

Enjoy and be safe with it please.

From a well known auction site or online you can buy the lab grade chemicals you need. (Sodium hydroxide lab grade solid/pearls and Calcium hydroxide lab grade solid)

Please be carefull though pellets of Sodium hydroxide will blind you or peal your skin off if you get it in your eye/on your skin.

Don't touch them with bare hands.

Always add the powder to water as the reaction is very exothermic. The other way around and the solution will get extremely hot and may spit.

Be extremely careful/wear goggles when using and any that splashes on your skin rinse off immediately with water.

Store the chemicals away from children or pets.

Now we got the safety out of the way.

Add 2g of Sodium hydroxide powder or pearls to 50ml of ro/di water.

Once they have dissolved add 2g of calcium hydroxide to this.

Shake the suspension well. This suspension is corrosive take precautions with eyes and skin when using.

Turn off all pumps

Use sparingly and slowly drip onto the aip using a syringe.

Shake the bottle of it well before use each time.

IMPORTANT NOTES

This will kill/melt anything it touches so don't get on your corals.

Don't add too much at once or it will increase pH and Alk. ( I have been using no more than 5ml per sitting for my 200 Litre tank)

Enjoy all may aiptasia x have a slow and painfull death."

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely don't scrub, that just spreads them.

For a simple solution, pull the rock from the water and wait for the aiptasia to retract. Once it's all scrunched up, put a few drops of liquid superglue on top, until it's totally covered. Not gel superglue- liquid. It smothers the aiptasia. Wait until the glue has hardened over the top (so fish and crabs that might pick at it won't get glued), then put the rock back in the tank. Easy, cheap, no chemistry required. Or there's Aiptasia X and the like.

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue trick is a good idea but stay away from Aip X unless your looking to start them spreading

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the rock to your sink. Turn on the hot water and let it get as hot as possible. Then turn it down to a trickle. Turn the rock so the aiptasia is down hill and then let the hot water run on it for 20-30 seconds. Then scrub it with a toothbrush while keeping the aiptasia down hill, repeat 3-4 times. Rinse wider area off with cold water briefly and them put rock back.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Done it, and broke a bit more then I was hoping to break. Can I still use this piece of rock after making like a week of sitting out of water ?, I was thinking like a gsp island.
I don't think just sitting outside of water for a week will kill it honestly. They are super resilient. Take some more extreme measures now that it's out of the tank. Super Glue, boiling water, etc. If it were me, I'd pour some boiling water over it a few times to melt the aptasia, then let it sit out for a couple weeks, then you could put it back in the tank

OP
OP
Shawaiz_106

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think just sitting outside of water for a week will kill it honestly. They are super resilient. Take some more extreme measures now that it's out of the tank. Super Glue, boiling water, etc. If it were me, I'd pour some boiling water over it a few times to melt the aptasia, then let it sit out for a couple weeks, then you could put it back in the tank
Okay, I'm going to run it under hot water few times and I'll put it back in like a month. Hopefully that works. Might also get some superglue and glue the area

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since the rock has no corals and can be removed, make note of where the aiptasia is and blow torch the spot for 15 seconds. Done.
...yeah, that'll do the trick! I'll have to remember that one. We have one of those cooking blowtorches. Probably not the best method on, say, a frag plug with a coral on it, but that seems darned effective anywhere well away from desirable flesh.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit aptasia with kalk paste-slurry out of a syringe. Start at the mouth and cover them.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...yeah, that'll do the trick! I'll have to remember that one. We have one of those cooking blowtorches. Probably not the best method on, say, a frag plug with a coral on it, but that seems darned effective anywhere well away from desirable flesh.
I used one of these butane babies. Nice pointy hot flame for targeting.
minitorch.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back