Aiptasia Invasion in Sump!!!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a major invasion in my sump. I have a 2 section sump (3s 3xl900 240g) and the small 2nd sump is all aiptasia! I've taken the powerheads out and all media bags and the uv pump as well as the macro algaes and basket.
IMG_0275.jpg
IMG_0277.jpg
It is on the walls. I left the rock in. I'm planning on covering the 2 in/outlets and putting in a bunch of peppermint shrimp. Maybe some nudi's or file fish if I can get ahold of any. I was using aiptasia x but it was just too hard to get too and too many

The display only has a few a nd I'll aip X those. The main sump has a couple. Took the media bags from there as well and will remove the reactor (need to clean pump anyway.

any other suggestions? I don't want to drain that area as I have tons of pods. It is approx 16 g . How many shrimp should I put. Anything else eat aiptasia?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a major invasion in my sump. I have a 2 section sump (3s 3xl900 240g) and the small 2nd sump is all aiptasia! I've taken the powerheads out and all media bags and the uv pump as well as the macro algaes and basket.
IMG_0275.jpg
IMG_0277.jpg
It is on the walls. I left the rock in. I'm planning on covering the 2 in/outlets and putting in a bunch of peppermint shrimp. Maybe some nudi's or file fish if I can get ahold of any. I was using aiptasia x but it was just too hard to get too and too many

The display only has a few a nd I'll aip X those. The main sump has a couple. Took the media bags from there as well and will remove the reactor (need to clean pump anyway.

any other suggestions? I don't want to drain that area as I have tons of pods. It is approx 16 g . How many shrimp should I put. Anything else eat aiptasia?
They are not excellent filtration and are reproducing.
A great spot for either peppermint shrimp or a Kleini butterfly fish.
Unfortunately, they are also like in your overflow and piping

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh and not much to do about that except get a large number of things that will eat it. I'll inspect the overflow

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthony Calfo begs to differ in his coral propagation book, but you need a UV to contain them, and I was kinda kidding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anthony Calfo begs to differ in his coral propagation book, but you need a UV to contain them, and I was kinda kidding.
UV will address what passes through its water channel and exposed to lamp (free swimming ) and Not attack what is pre-existing or idle on surfaces. It doesnt send radiation wave throughout a given areas although would be nice

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would brake the sump up, clean it, sterilize and get new media there. Generally you don’t need much media in a sump. Act before they spread into DT.

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0275.jpg
IMG_0277.jpg

If I was in that boat I would either do aiptasia x first get the very big ones and dump berghias in there.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it does look like you need some manual breakdown and clean up. I too use peppermint shrimps, but to keep a low level population, low, not to address a widespread and large outbreak.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was in that boat I would either do aiptasia x first get the very big ones and dump berghias in there.
I second berghia, they will thrive in a sump. But pullem when your done or they will starve out. I took @vetteguy53081 advice about the blue head Klein and I'm prepping it for the big display soon as the filefish was a bust and the peppermint shrimp will be expensive dining for the hawkfishes and halichoeres wrasses I have.

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing aip x now, was/is a okish bag so far. A PITA to apply when the aiptasia is vertical. Thinking about f aiptasia next.
Honestly those kill one and then with the released spores you get three new ones. I like to kill the big ones before berghia because beghia are pack hunters and sometimes have a hard time with big aiptasia if they are alone.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second berghia, they will thrive in a sump. But pullem when your done or they will starve out. I took @vetteguy53081 advice about the blue head Klein and I'm prepping it for the big display soon as the filefish was a bust and the peppermint shrimp will be expensive dining for the hawkfishes and halichoeres wrasses I have.
Hey I just put 2 blue head kleini in today , I’ll let you know how they do on the aiptasia. They are sweet looking fish too

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I just put 2 blue head kleini in today , I’ll let you know how they do on the aiptasia. They are sweet looking fish too
I got this guy last week, (blue head Klein) it went to work on the smaller aips in the cube tank, also eats everything and anything! I'm a bit hesitant with putting it in with zebrasomas, prolly won't as they will prolly bully it to death. Downside to adding fish, lost a fat coral beauty in the cube due to it deciding to enter the Apollo space program.

PXL_20230301_213733323.jpg

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great filters.

Attachments

• EE51C950-829C-472F-942D-E10477D4F053.jpeg
    EE51C950-829C-472F-942D-E10477D4F053.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DB288FC6-4B47-4A0A-8199-1E67BF3FAD49.jpeg
    DB288FC6-4B47-4A0A-8199-1E67BF3FAD49.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 29

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or does Aip X just spread them? It's cool to see them explode but they pop up everywhere after. I have had good success with kalk paste. Half tsp and 5 ml water. Cover the SOBs and keep pumps off for 30 min.

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F aptsia works well but kalk paste is cheap and accomplishes the same. Pickling lyme would work but its kinda dirty.

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptaisia xand joes juice did nothing for me. Seems like they always come back. I just hit some with a mojano wand and i swear 80% came right back. I have a 70 gal so im limited.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back