Aiptasia on acan frag

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found out that I had accidentally introduced aiptasia on a hysterix, as soon I realised I removed it, I didn’t see it anywhere else so assumed it didn’t spread before I noticed
Awhile after I noticed one fairly large aiptasia on the rock (no idea how I didn’t see it sooner)
I have syringed it with lemon juice multiple times and it goes for a few days but then comes back
And today while feeding I noticed around 5 more aiptasia on the rocks, one of them inside of my acan frag
i can’t reach to superglue the ones at the very bottom, what else could I do?
mice had a peppermint shrimp in the tank the whole time, and it even used to eat aiptasia before in a smaller tank but seems not to anymore

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manually injecting kalk paste, aptasia x, or superglue (least effective) will likely be the mainstay of treatment at this point. When you can still count them, you should be doing this every day.

If they start to get out of control you can start trying biological controls (nudis, peppermint, etc.), however these can be hit or miss and in the time it takes to discover your filefish doesn't eat nudis, the peppermints you bought aren't actually true peppermints, etc. you're aptasia will spread. If you can still count them, do anything under the sun to eliminate them at this stage of the game, even if you have to remove rock/drain water. This is one of those classic ounce of prevention situations.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also shouldn't have to inject them multiple times- either you're missing before they retract, not getting enough solution in, or the solution you're using isn't working.

OP
OP
N

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll start super glueing the ones I can reach just make them retract and put a blob over them?

lemon juice I used may not have worked as I was being very careful on how much I added incase of a ph swing, it is a 60 gallon so I’m not sure how much it would take to affect the ph

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back