Aiptasia on clam foot? Help appreciated

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Looking for assistance to identify / confirm that this is aiptasia and not part of the clams foot. I found some other small spots in the tank of what I now believe to be aiptasia. Was fighting off a small bit of hair algae and they were blending in, CUC left them alone but GHA is now pretty well gone. Back to the point, I have some Franks F aiptasia on order, is that too caustic to use on the clam shell? What other options do I have? I think a LFS has Biota Peppermint shrimp in stock that'd I'd be willing to go grab tomorrow if it's the only clam safe option. I only hesitate on the shrimp as I saw others reporting that they went after frogspawn and hammers. Other corals are some candy canes, shrooms, torches, gonoporia and alveopora, and a few monti's.

Clam below, he's usually more open but startled when i turned the lights all the way white for photo.
Aptasia clam foot.JPG

Possible other aiptasia?

Aptasia1.JPG

Bonus question: Saw some other algae, almost looks like it's on a vine next to some Zoas. Any thoughts on id?

Bonus algae .JPG

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, Aiptasia. Different methods. Franks should be fine so long as it does not come in contact with the byssal threads of the foot. If it were me, I'd pull from the tank and clean it off with a pick and toothbrush and rinse well. Then q-tip on some H2O2 and let it sit for a few minutes before placing back in the tank. Be advised, you have Aiptasia and now always will so it is likely to show up on the clam again. It is next to impossible to eradicate. At this point, it will be a management game.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup Aiptasia.... Berghia Nudibranch is your friend. I had some in my 90g, bought just one little one (more are recommended) as an experiment. My Aiptasia 5 or 6 of them are now all of a sudden gone after a month..... now hope I can find that Berghia to re-home if it hasn't perished already from lack of food....

Nice clam BTW.

OP
OP
shim

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice. I'll look for the nudibranch first, shrimp second but will try to use the pick and toothbrush method to clean up the clam at least.

OP
OP
shim

shim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a followup to all who helped, was able to clean the clam shell with dental tool pick and swabbed with hydrogen peroxide.

Bulk reef supply shipped my order of Franks F Aiptasia and I had by Saturday afternoon already. Covered the front corner of the tank in it as that is the majority of the Aiptasia that I could find and reach.

Unable to find any nudibranchs locally but did find a Biota peppermint shrimp at an LFS. There were 2 smaller Aiptasia in an area I couldn't get to easily and I think he's already ate them.

Hopefully caught this early enough to prevent a major outbreak and will be able to contain at an undetectable level hereon out.

Thanks again for the prompt and good advice.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mixed experience with those little devils. One tank I broke down to get rid of them. Even baked the sand. But another the peppermint shrimp killed them all. That was a number of years ago. Never had another problem with them. They did eat my tube worm though.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back