Aiptasia on LFS Seeded Bio-Block

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've been working over the past few months on setting up a brand new reef tank (check my build thread). I wanted to do everything by the book so I started the tank from dry rock, did a fishless cycle, am in the process of setting up two QT tanks (one coral / one fish) and reading everything I can to minimize any chance of issues in my display tank.

On friday, I added a few snails & hermits to my display tank to keep the cycle going and picked up a bioblock I had been seeding in my LFS' display tank. The bioblack had a ton of life on it when I brought it home including some nice macroalgae and a few little brittle stars. I dropped it into the tank and everything has been humming along nicely.

This morning, I went to do some work on the sump and realized I got a little Aiptasia attached to the bioblock (see photo below). As luck would have it, I guess this is what I get for using store seeded biomaterial :( .

My question to you all is - what do I do? I really don't want to throw the whole block out, but at the same time, I don't want to infect my pristine new tank. I've inspected the whole block thoroughly and this is the only one I can see, but of course, I don't trust that. I've thought about boiling the whole block, but that will kill off everything and defeat the purpose of having it. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Aiptasia.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk paste or superglue. Unless the sump has super high flow, using kalk paste is fine to do in the sump.

I am pretty careful about introducing stuff to my systems and I've still had every pest in the book. Now I just keep predators around at all times.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the quarantine set up yet. Should I just take the whole block out or try to kalk it in the sump?
If it's just a drop on the polyp, then yes. If want to bathe the entire block, I'd put it in a bucket.

And, yes, superglue (gel, please) works too.

OP
OP
B

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To tell you the truth, I'd quarantine the remaining block. Aiptasia can reproduce asexually, and it's certainly wouldn't be unheard of to see polyps popping up on the remainder even if you can't see any evidence of them right now.
I guess i'll just throw it in a bucket - I don't had a dedicated QT set up unfortunately.

OP
OP
B

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a dedicated QT to me. :)
Against your great suggestion, I left the block in the sump. Was just winding down for the night and decided to shine a quick flashlight on it to see if I was clear.

Block was covered in even smaller aiptasia....I counted at lest 6 of them across the top and i'm sure there were more down the sides.

Needless to say the block is now out of the tank. Really hope I didnt screw this up and start my brand new tank off with an Aiptasia implosion....

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Against your great suggestion, I left the block in the sump. Was just winding down for the night and decided to shine a quick flashlight on it to see if I was clear.

Block was covered in even smaller aiptasia....I counted at lest 6 of them across the top and i'm sure there were more down the sides.

Needless to say the block is now out of the tank. Really hope I didnt screw this up and start my brand new tank off with an Aiptasia implosion....
On the plus side, you can kalk any survivors and watch them implode with a satisfying pop. It's better than that Dr. Pimple-popper lady. :)

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its bound to happen. Snails and such can bring them along with coral.

OP
OP
B

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally get it. Just trying to do everything I can to stop or limit my exposure to these things.

Brand new tank started from scratch and I already feel like i'm fighting the tide...and I'm not going to win :rolleyes:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally get it. Just trying to do everything I can to stop or limit my exposure to these things.

Brand new tank started from scratch and I already feel like i'm fighting the tide...and I'm not going to win :rolleyes:
Remain vigilant and do what you can. Just don't beat yourself up if/when they get through. The good news is, almost all of these nuisance pests have predators. Some predators have more downside than others, but they are worth researching over time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back