Aiptasia on my duncan???

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't figure out the last couple days what was seemingly killing my formally thriving Duncan. I've been at work when the lights were on brightly so couldn't see what was up. Turned the whites on today and it looks like freaking an aiptasia head has grown attached! I assume it would be attacking the Duncan. What can I do to save my poor coral?
#reefsquad
Screenshot_20210120-173617_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210120-173613_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull it out and superglue the little *******!

I do have Aiptasia X. Is that safe to use that close to a coral?
As far as pull it out and super glue, won't I kill the heads of the coral that come out of the water? I mean those heads are pretty close to dead already i think.
Sorry I'm not very experienced with corals.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Corals can be taken out of the water without hurting them, as long as it's only for a few minutes. Some are fine out of water for hours.

Aiptasia X is safe as long as you don't let any of it get on the flesh of the coral.

Liquid superglue is good. You take the coral out of the water, watch where the aiptasia goes, then cover the aiptasia entirely in liquid superglue. That smothers it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do have Aiptasia X. Is that safe to use that close to a coral?
As far as pull it out and super glue, won't I kill the heads of the coral that come out of the water? I mean those heads are pretty close to dead already i think.
Sorry I'm not very experienced with corals.
Aptasia X is safe. Inject via syringe into center core so you can target the aptasia rather than dincan.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can be taken out of the water without hurting them, as long as it's only for a few minutes. Some are fine out of water for hours.

Aiptasia X is safe as long as you don't let any of it get on the flesh of the coral.

Liquid superglue is good. You take the coral out of the water, watch where the aiptasia goes, then cover the aiptasia entirely in liquid superglue. That smothers it.

Any particular super glue? I have some around the house but think its like JB Weld or something. Don't want to use the wrong kind.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are already close to death, it won't matter much at this point. AiptasiaX can do as much harm as superglue and out of the water it is easier to use superglue IMHO.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just use the stuff you can get at the dollar store. If it says "cyanoacrylate glue", that's what you want. You can look up the brand to check if it's reef-safe, but any brand without anything else added is fine.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular super glue? I have some around the house but think its like JB Weld or something. Don't want to use the wrong kind.
Cyanoacrylate is cyanoacrylate. JB should be good to go.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna do that tonight. Thanks for the help everyone.
This duncan has survived having all whites left on for a weekend, a tank crash and got knocked off a rock and spend like 4 days half buried in sand and survived it all and blossomed. Im not gonna let some punk aiptasia take it out! Lol

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have asked before I did it, but how long should I leave the coral our of the water to let the glue set mostly? Thankfully the stuff I used is the gel so it was already pretty firm after like 30 seconds or a minute.

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have asked before I did it, but how long should I leave the coral our of the water to let the glue set mostly? Thankfully the stuff I used is the gel so it was already pretty firm after like 30 seconds or a minute.
The glue will dry while its in the water, and dpends on corals but most can survive more than a minute out of water.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Liquid is actually better, it flows and covers the whole aiptasia.

The glue will form a dried skin when it touches the water. Just make sure no crabs pick at it before it fully dries, or they could get glue on them.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull it out and superglue the little *******!

Aptasia X is safe. Inject via syringe into center core so you can target the aptasia rather than dincan.

The glue will dry while its in the water, and dpends on corals but most can survive more than a minute out of water.

It already looks happier. Obviously a few heads have been damaged by the aiptasia but they are all open more than they have been in days. Thanks for the advice!
20210121_091928.jpg

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a huge aiptasia outbreak in my tank,I put in two peppermint shrimp and they devoured the aiptasia in no time.

I have probably 5 or more peppermint in my tank right now. They aren't doing crap that I can tell. At least not to the two big pieces of Aiptasia I can see. They may be keeping new outbreaks in check though.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have been too late to save my Duncan. It's mostly dead and hardened now with only a couple heads that could be described as surviving.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back