Aiptasia on new zoa frag? :/

3sxp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. I received my first coral frags (30gal tank is 1 month old and currently has 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 BTA, snails, 3 hermits) on Wednesday and have had them in an isolation tank, just thinking that I would let them rest a bit before dipping them and introducing them to the main tank. 1 "utter chaos" zoa, 1 sinularia leather, 1 discosoma mushroom, 1 GSP frag, 1 chalice.

Then I saw what I think is aiptasia on the zoa -- could someone help confirm?
1685729883600.png

At first I saw only the one polyp on the bottom of the frag, but then this morning I noticed several more huddled between the zoa heads. It also looks like there's some sponge growing in there as well?

Advice please? They're all in the same 10 gallon tank right now. It's been 2 days. I'm thinking I will go ahead and CoralRX dip the GSPs, leather, mushroom, and chalice, and move them to the main tank, but keep this frag isolated while I figure out what to do.

And I just got the notification that 3 more zoas arrived today. I don't have another tank. :/ I was thinking of going to PetCo to pick up a 5g to use as an ATO reservoir, could maybe do that and temporarily commission it as another QT tank.

Is it reasonably safe to assume that in this short timeframe, the polyps are likely still isolated to this one frag? The chalice is on one side of the tank about 8" away from the others which are spaced about 3-4" apart.

All help appreciated!!

Chalice -- does it look all right for a new arrival?
1685730133696.png

GSPs seem sprightly:
1685730274876.png

The mushroom -- is it just the one mushroom on the right corner of this frag? The rest just looks like plug and algae? Should I frag off the rest?
Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 11.22.46 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 11.24.08 AM.png

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an aiptasia come in on a Zoa frag a while ago . Used superglue . Worked beautifully.

OP
OP
3sxp

3sxp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an aiptasia come in on a Zoa frag a while ago . Used superglue . Worked beautifully.

thank you! Would the procedure be:
- separate bowl w/dip
- frag off plug stem
- suction off visible aiptasia
- superglue location where aiptasia had been

Or are you just putting a dot of glue on the aiptasia polyps themselves? I'm a little concerned about the ones between the zoa polyps, and being able to see them while moving the frag around...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back