Aiptasia? Tube worms? What is this?

ESamson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, guys! I need your expertise.

I just bought my first two corals. These two different critters came with one of them, a toadstool leather on a piece of live rock. The guy at the store said he was confident there was no need for me to quarantine, just dip, which I did, but as soon as I saw these, I moved the rock out to my quarantine tank. Lesson learned.

I have some Aiptasia-X on the way today because one seemed to me like aiptaisia (though not sure because its head is hexagonal and seems to have only 12 thin tentacles and all aiptasia photos I see seem to have multiple chubbier tentacles and round heads). So is this aiptasia? This one hid while I'm waiting on the Aiptasia-X to come (not sure if it moved or just retracted in the hole it came from). Nowhere to be seen now, so I guess I'm just gonna have to wait for it to pop up again and strike it, unless it's nothing to worry about.

The second one is harder to see in the photo but looks like a tube worm / duster, which makes sense since I see some shells for them on the live rock. It was hidden in the first photo, but it came out the next day.

So my questions if I may are:

(1) do you know what are they?
(2) if they're not aiptasia, should I worry about them?
(3) how long can I keep this toadstool in my qt waiting? water parameters are standard, flow may be ok with the little cheap power head I have in there, but light is just a cheap Amazon one with 15 white LEDs and 3 blue ones.

Thank you so much for your expertise and help!!

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 10.38.20.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 10.50.44.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 10.50.44.png

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like hydroid

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks. It has a column under that mouth though. Do hydroids have that?
May need a clearer pic of tube or need to get to a larger screen

Upvote 0
Back