Aiptasia vs. Berghia vs. Wrasses

HKAVR45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been pretty well documented that Berghia do in fact work against Aiptasia. Of course you need to get a good amount to start with to make sure they reproduce and the population increases. And you also need to get ones on the larger side in order to be at the reproductive age. Despite knowing all these facts there's still some apprehension about dropping $100 plus bucks on a critter that you may or may not see ever again. However when you assess what a true apitasia outbreak could cost you in terms of coral loss, the cost/benefit becomes more apparent.

But what happens when you have a tank full of pest predators i.e. a "school" of wrasses? I have a Reefer 525XL with the following wrasse species: yellow coris, neon, melanurus, checkerboard, sea grass, and a christmas. All of these guys are constantly on the hunt picking at the rockwork and sand. So to say I was apprehensive about purchasing berghia would be an understatement. When all other methods failed I decided the beghia were my last resort. I purchased 2 x .25 inch and 5 .5 inch berghia from saltyunderground. They arrived in the morning and I acclimated them for a good portion of the day. About an hour before release I turned off all the lights and got the room nice and dark. I also made sure all the wrasses were burried or in the rock work. I got the berghia into a glass baby food jar and tipped the jar so the opening was directly up on a rock. The next morning only one was still in the jar, so I sucked him out and got him on a rock.

First 3 weeks.... Nothing. Then at about week 4 I noticed a small patch in the front rock work close to where they were released was totally gone. For the next 4 weeks no real change in the aiptasia population. I would check out the tank at 2-3AM.... nothing. About 2 months in I finally saw one at night. Must have been over an inch long so I know at least one was getting food. The next night I saw two more and the aiptasia is definitely starting to take a hit now. At this point I'm about 2.5 months in and looking like this battle will be won.

So for those questioning if berghia will work in a tank full of wrasses, it would appear as though I've got some positive results so far. I would recommend anyone on the fence should probably take the plunge if all other avenues for aiptasia removal have failed.

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 2 bergula nudibranch and 2 peppermint shrimp...the shrimp do nothing, but my Berghia population is growing, I see them out all times of the day, and attacking aipstatia daily, just 1-2 a day, but slow and steady in this community :)
IMG_20201018_010704.jpg
IMG_20201016_005833.jpg
IMG_20201013_011512.jpg

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best fight against Aptasia has always been large reef safe Angels. I have 3 separate tanks all tied to the same sump. I did an experiment this year that proved it once and for all for me. I added a Holo Holo angel and an Emperor angel to my center reef tank, in less than a month 1000 aptasia were gone. While both end tanks were still overrun by aptasia. I moved the 2 angels to one on the end tanks, 14-21 days, all aptasia gone, moved them to the final end tank and in 2 weeks all aptasia are gone. The Holo Holo and the Emperor angel are back in the reef along with adding a Declivis and copprband butterly to the center reef. I added a Falcula butterfly & Auriga butterfly to one end tank and added nothing to the other end tank. The center reef tank & the 1 end tank with butterflies have stayed aptasia free for a year now. the 1 end tank that did not have a large angel nor a butterfly are full with aptasia again. I just moved my cooperband Friday to the last end tank with the reappearing aptasia on Friday, the population is already cut in half. This will be the 3rd experiment using large angels in a reef to eliminate aptasia. My system is 850 gallons of mixed reef with LPS, sofites and SPS. Zero issues with any picking on corals. I've used adult emperors, the Holo Holo (bandit angel) Blue face angels and juvenile emperors in all of the 3 experiments i've done over the past 5 years. I encourage everyone with an aptasia infestation to try reef safe butterflies and especially Large Angels to eradicate your aptasia infestation.

OP
OP
H

HKAVR45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best fight against Aptasia has always been large reef safe Angels. I have 3 separate tanks all tied to the same sump. I did an experiment this year that proved it once and for all for me. I added a Holo Holo angel and an Emperor angel to my center reef tank, in less than a month 1000 aptasia were gone. While both end tanks were still overrun by aptasia. I moved the 2 angels to one on the end tanks, 14-21 days, all aptasia gone, moved them to the final end tank and in 2 weeks all aptasia are gone. The Holo Holo and the Emperor angel are back in the reef along with adding a Declivis and copprband butterly to the center reef. I added a Falcula butterfly & Auriga butterfly to one end tank and added nothing to the other end tank. The center reef tank & the 1 end tank with butterflies have stayed aptasia free for a year now. the 1 end tank that did not have a large angel nor a butterfly are full with aptasia again. I just moved my cooperband Friday to the last end tank with the reappearing aptasia on Friday, the population is already cut in half. This will be the 3rd experiment using large angels in a reef to eliminate aptasia. My system is 850 gallons of mixed reef with LPS, sofites and SPS. Zero issues with any picking on corals. I've used adult emperors, the Holo Holo (bandit angel) Blue face angels and juvenile emperors in all of the 3 experiments i've done over the past 5 years. I encourage everyone with an aptasia infestation to try reef safe butterflies and especially Large Angels to eradicate your aptasia infestation.

There may be better options for aiptasia removal, but butterflies and angels might not be options for smaller tanks or those that are already fully stocked.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been pretty well documented that Berghia do in fact work against Aiptasia. Of course you need to get a good amount to start with to make sure they reproduce and the population increases. And you also need to get ones on the larger side in order to be at the reproductive age. Despite knowing all these facts there's still some apprehension about dropping $100 plus bucks on a critter that you may or may not see ever again. However when you assess what a true apitasia outbreak could cost you in terms of coral loss, the cost/benefit becomes more apparent.

But what happens when you have a tank full of pest predators i.e. a "school" of wrasses? I have a Reefer 525XL with the following wrasse species: yellow coris, neon, melanurus, checkerboard, sea grass, and a christmas. All of these guys are constantly on the hunt picking at the rockwork and sand. So to say I was apprehensive about purchasing berghia would be an understatement. When all other methods failed I decided the beghia were my last resort. I purchased 2 x .25 inch and 5 .5 inch berghia from saltyunderground. They arrived in the morning and I acclimated them for a good portion of the day. About an hour before release I turned off all the lights and got the room nice and dark. I also made sure all the wrasses were burried or in the rock work. I got the berghia into a glass baby food jar and tipped the jar so the opening was directly up on a rock. The next morning only one was still in the jar, so I sucked him out and got him on a rock.

First 3 weeks.... Nothing. Then at about week 4 I noticed a small patch in the front rock work close to where they were released was totally gone. For the next 4 weeks no real change in the aiptasia population. I would check out the tank at 2-3AM.... nothing. About 2 months in I finally saw one at night. Must have been over an inch long so I know at least one was getting food. The next night I saw two more and the aiptasia is definitely starting to take a hit now. At this point I'm about 2.5 months in and looking like this battle will be won.

So for those questioning if berghia will work in a tank full of wrasses, it would appear as though I've got some positive results so far. I would recommend anyone on the fence should probably take the plunge if all other avenues for aiptasia removal have failed.
I have wrasse in my tank melanurus wrasse Harlequin Tusk wrasse and a leopard wrasse none of which messed with the nudibranchs they come out after lights out and everything is pretty much sleeping so if you'd like to see what your purchased this is the best time to look you have a flashlight check it out after everything's been in dark. I think it is worth a try I know that there's no other way I feel about that problem again and I am so so happy two have eradicated the aptisia anemone.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used them and completely eradicated the aips - although in a 7 foot tank it took over a year. I also aggressively bombed them with kalk paste whenever I saw them in clusters and I also added them twice. It was a battle - but - I was aiptasia free for years when it was finally won.

OP
OP
H

HKAVR45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used Aptasia X.
Took about 16 weeks, once per week, 15 minutes.
Have not seen one in 6 months

B8592C20-D1CD-4245-92F3-7E0C37A02EDA.jpeg
I used AipX as well. And pretty much all the other aiptasia products on the market. For me Aptasia X just spread the problem. I even turned off all flow. The product by Tropic Marin seemed to work pretty well, but it came down to the Aiptasia in places I couldn't see that would reproduce and the problem came back, over and over again.

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never ever ever ever ever ever used apt Aptasia-X all this. Is make the problem worse it ticks them off

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought (3) 1/2" Berghia for my 30 gallon tank. In two weeks time they have eradicated almost all of the aiptasia that was infesting my tank. I can't believe how fast they eat them.

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought (3) 1/2" Berghia for my 30 gallon tank. In two weeks time they have eradicated almost all of the aiptasia that was infesting my tank. I can't believe how fast they eat them.
Right forget the peppermint shrimp forget the file fish burgie the only thing that works for me

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried F-Aiptasia...that stuff seemed to make them multiply overnight.
Correct it ticks them off and then they spread this is what creates the spreading of aptisia anemone is when people mess with them in the wrong manner

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct it ticks them off and then they spread this is what creates the spreading of aptisia anemone is when people mess with them in the wrong manner
I usually find that injecting boiled freshwater into the aiptasia works pretty well for me. But recently I had a few stubborn ones that kept coming back. I used F-aiptasia on them, including a large curly-Q anemone, and it worked nicely with just one treatment.

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the write-up. I'm starting to see aiptasia proliferate a bit in my tank (not a full on infestation) and my filefish (so far) has done nothing. My concern with nudis was my wrasses but you have encouraged me to give this a chance.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write-up. I'm starting to see aiptasia proliferate a bit in my tank (not a full on infestation) and my filefish (so far) has done nothing. My concern with nudis was my wrasses but you have encouraged me to give this a chance.
PM me for a before and after !!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! I've often wondered if having wrasses would make it impossible to use berghias. Glad to know it can be done!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back