Aiptasia X: An Honest Review

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear people saying all of the time that this product or that product will take care of your aiptasia issue. Then other people will claim that those products just make them spread. Time to put one of these products to the test!
20210215_220240.jpg
I aquired this bottle from a local reefer whose tank I was breaking down. Here we go.

Day 1: The problem
20210215_220646.jpg

And the careful injections (I have been injecting aiptasia for many years and am very careful not to disturb them)
20210215_220739.jpg
20210215_220809.jpg

Looking good!
20210215_221222.jpg

Day 4: They're coming back to life!
20210219_194520.jpg
Day 12: They're back :eek:
20210227_155938.jpg

In conclusion, this product did not take care of my aiptasia problem. It also did not seem to make them spread as many people claim. I will toss the rest in the trash :(

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I might be returning mine! My bottle just came in today. Do you have a recommendation on eradication methods that have worked for you?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive said it again and again...
I swear that stuff is just Anemone sperm.

Get yourself a bottle of Franks F-aiptasia.
Same application procedure but it works.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I might be returning mine! My bottle just came in today. Do you have a recommendation on eradication methods that have worked for you?
I don't want to make any recommendations until I can document success. I have access to kalk paste, lemon juice, boiling water, and vinegar. I'm also tempted to pick up some joes juice and f aiptasia to test out but we'll see.

@Saltyreef do you care to make a similar thread proving that they don't come back using f aiptasia?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to make any recommendations until I can document success. I have access to kalk paste, lemon juice, boiling water, and vinegar. I'm also tempted to pick up some joes juice and f aiptasia to test out but we'll see.

@Saltyreef do you care to make a similar thread proving that they don't come back using f aiptasia?
Not really lol. It works if you eradicate them all. If not and youre lazy theyll come right back.
It hardens over the nems. After 24 hours you can literally siphon all the dying/dead nems off the rocks. I just leave em to melt away.ill post some before and after photos :)

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I inherited a majano and aiptasia problem with 50lbs of live rock in a used tank, and Aiptasia-X has been pretty effective at killing them. You can literally watch the aiptasia implode! I find that the key is to cover ALL of the tentacles with the solution; they may survive if you don't. Yes, a few new polyps do pop up occasionally, but the solution is also pretty good at killing them. It does usually take two doses to kill majanos, though.

Freezing live rock outdoors at -20C took care of all the majanos on one rock!

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really lol. It works if you eradicate them all. If not and youre lazy theyll come right back.
It hardens over the nems. After 24 hours you can literally siphon all the dying/dead nems off the rocks. I just leave em to melt away.ill post some before and after photos :)
I also have before and after photos. Picture 1 and picture 4. Unfortunately that doesn't prove that the product works since they pop back up. It's not about being lazy. Unless you run a very small tank it is impossible to get them all. They are under rocks, inside of pumps and plumbing, and just hidden in the worst spots. I'm sure you know this.

I'll get my hands on some f aiptasia eventually and run a test with pictures. I'm looking to prove which products work and which dont. No more snake oils!

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire! Get the hand held torch and goggles.
whatever method. Ive never had success with aptasia x either. They need to up their stuff!
Report back. I look fwd to your findings. Try the mojano wand if you can. Ty.
D

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. I inherited a majano and aiptasia problem with 50lbs of live rock in a used tank, and Aiptasia-X has been pretty effective at killing them. You can literally watch the aiptasia implode! I find that the key is to cover ALL of the tentacles with the solution; they may survive if you don't. Yes, a few new polyps do pop up occasionally, but the solution is also pretty good at killing them. It does usually take two doses to kill majanos, though.

Freezing live rock outdoors at -20C took care of all the majanos on one rock!
Interesting to hear that you've found success with this product. Fwiw this was not a 1 off test for me. I have used half of the bottle of aiptasia x and noticed that they usually come crawling back.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire! Get the hand held torch and goggles.
whatever method. Ive never had success with aptasia x either. They need to up their stuff!
Report back. I look fwd to your findings. Try the mojano wand if you can. Ty.
D
That looks pretty cool, I might have to give it a shot! I wasn't aware that @Paul B had invented anything that didn't require stealing the wife's panty hose

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I just lucked out with a fresh bottle. I did see a few of them shrivel up and detach from their rock after I gave 'em the juice, and I scooped those out of the tank. I'm not totally convinced that Aiptasia-X will completely take care of the aiptasia, but it has done a really good job with the majanos.

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F-Aiptasia will eradicate ALL aiptasia when applied.

I have used it on all my tanks with 100% success on the aiptasia I applied it to.

I also had a nice rock that was covered in GSP. I applied F-Aiptasia to the GSP and it killed the GSP without damaging the rock.

I will be buying it again. Highly recommend.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it works but like i said i got lazy and didnt get them all. They eventually took back over the tank.
Now i have a 10g tank setup with a few rocks at a time so i can eradicate each 100%

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have before and after photos. Picture 1 and picture 4. Unfortunately that doesn't prove that the product works since they pop back up. It's not about being lazy. Unless you run a very small tank it is impossible to get them all. They are under rocks, inside of pumps and plumbing, and just hidden in the worst spots. I'm sure you know this.

I'll get my hands on some f aiptasia eventually and run a test with pictures. I'm looking to prove which products work and which dont. No more snake oils!
Yes i understand. It will eradicate anything youre able to reach. And once you cant find any, you have to go hunting....
Im also using these on majanos so its not a direct comparison lol. They reproduce and spread differently.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File fish . I had a bad break out of them . Tried lasers calcium crazy glue . Got three file fish gone in a week . And never seen another one.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back