Aiptasia-X or Aiptasia Rx or Kalkwasser control and/or kill Vermetid snails

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title implies... Will Aiptasia-X or AiptasiaRx or Kalkwasser control and/or kill Vermetid snails?

I thought if I could inject something into the Vermetid snail tube... it could kill it, then I thought how about the Aiptasia products that work so well killing Aiptasia (and creating 1000s more), will they seal the tube of the Vermetid? will Kalkwasser have any impact on them?
I understand it is virtually impossible to rid the tank of the "Verm" but could we control it this way?
I am going to order one of the products in the subject line and try this, will also try Kalk since I have that readily available.

Has anyone done any experimentation on this?

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not used those but….crushing the whole thing with tweezers (or something thing else) including the base and then putting a dap of superglue on the spot has worked for me.

I’ve pulled it out of the tank to do this … might not be possible depending on your situation… some people claim to have luck with bumblebee snails but I’ve seen mixed on this and I have never tried it personally

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You likely won't be able to inject anything substantial into the tubes. A dab of super glue on the end of the tube will kill/starve it out.

When you've got v snails, the battle is ongoing. They will reproduce faster than you can glue them. An army of bumblebee snails can help you in your endeavor but they won't eradicate every vermited. Just an unfortunate truth.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
knockout

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good success just crushing them, and when I did my tank transfer got over 90% of them, looking to see if there is an "easy" solution to control them, I know I can never clear them all out.

I could not help myself and I just tried injecting a few with kalkwasser - we'll see if they survive, I will not be able to check on them until Sunday as I am going out of town tomorrow
test subject # 1 - video is not great but shows it is alive and retracts into the tube when poked, first photo of the verm peeking thru, second photo shows the tube full of kalk
20221116_192722.jpg
20221116_193433.jpg

Attachments

• vermetid.mp4
    5.4 MB
Upvote 0

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to vermetids specifically. Mine just eventually went away and never seemed to cause any problems (I think my species was small). But F-aiptasia is by far the best at killing mushrooms. The viscosity is super high so it comes out as a thick paste and quickly solidifies over whatever it's on. It also chemically burns whatever it sits on of course. I think it's worth trying.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
knockout

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never used them, I just went to town on every one I saw, got most of them, I know they are there still but nothing like before, if I see a web I go hunting

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back