Aiptasia X

Manda0597

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will Aiptasia X hurt my fish/crabs? I have 3 very small Aiptasias that dont seem to have caused any issues with fish or inverts
YET but I want to get rid of it before it is out of hand. I have no corals to worry about as it is a Fish Only tank with Live Rock. But will putting the Aiptasia X in thehole in the rock where the Aiptasia is growing hurt my fish?

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if the fish eat the solution? I have some very greedy storm breaker clowns that will eat anything.

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no corals, just take the rock out and do manual removal outside the tank.
Scrape off the spot where it was, and remove some rock material also to ensure you get it all.
Rinse well with rodi and then put back into your tank.

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be careful with Aiptasia-X. If you fail to 100% kill them with it, they multiply into hundreds of baby ones after you tick them off (from personal experience). Use superglue if it's only 3 of them. It seals them in and no risk of any more spread.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer the question, no it will not affect fish, coral or other inverts. I have accidentally gotten some on some GSP and a hammer with no side affects.

Sadly, if you see three small Aiptasia, there are probably more. I have a 20 gallon coral QT tank that i have been battling Aiptasia in for about 6 months and am finally at the point where I give up. Aiptasia-X is an awesome product for killing the ones you can see, but it is impossible to guarantee you are getting every single Aiptasia in the tank and sump, (or whatever filtration you are using). If you miss one or there is one that you cannot see yet...they will start popping up all over again.

Since this is in my QT tank, I have given up trying to get rid of them completely and just kill them as they appear on the coral racks. I ignore all the ones on the sand bed, rock and glass. As long as they are not close to any coral I just let them be. I just have to make sure I inspect my coral closely, remove the plug and scrape off the coral before dipping and adding to my DT.

I have thought about tearing the tank down and starting from scratch, but since this is a QT tank, the chances of getting Aiptasia again is pretty high so I am just managing it for now and making sure I do not transfer any into my DT.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will Aiptasia X hurt my fish/crabs? I have 3 very small Aiptasias that dont seem to have caused any issues with fish or inverts
YET but I want to get rid of it before it is out of hand. I have no corals to worry about as it is a Fish Only tank with Live Rock. But will putting the Aiptasia X in thehole in the rock where the Aiptasia is growing hurt my fish?

It will hurt nothing.
With all flow turned off.
Make sure you hold the solution in a ball, right in the middle mouth, wait, he’ll suck it down, and collapse under it. Put a circle of the solution around the base.
Wait 15-20 minutes with no flow.
Turn on flow.
My fish eat the white globs in the water. Used Aptasia-x for 30 years.

This stuff about be careful and don’t PO them is a reefers story.
If there are any pieces, they will encircle the adult, the solution around the base gets them.

The trick with Aptasia is to be persistent. Took me 4-5 months of weekly search and destroy.
I have no seen one in over a year now.

74EC4C04-6367-4831-8B25-FF40F87CF344.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back