Aiptasia

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I just put a drop over the spot after the kalk kills just to be safe. I have had one that I couldn't tell where it was after I kalked it. It has not come back. I'm not really sure if they send out spores every time I kill one. I have had 4 in almost a year I catch them when they are very small

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and the diabetic needle gives you a really nice small precise stream. That is why I mentioned it. Also turn off all flow. I have a pig of a purple tang that try's to eat what ever is In my hand so I have to be carful

ChristiD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no matter the size superglue will rid of them :) never to be seen again.

Oh and they absolutely hate hot water temps ;)

Do you take the rocks out and cover the aiptasia with super glue? I tried using a hypodermic needle and injecting them with hot water, it helped but a few seem to be back already

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be cooking some and super gluing others, a few rocks I've noticed have some sponges and are crawling with baby snails that I want to be careful with.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea if I had so many that I was over whelmed I would get a copper band also. In my 180 I had. I had my copper band for a year. Then one day he was dead. Loved that fish and haven't brought my self to get another based on success rate

Dec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also a reef safe poison for aiptasia called aiptasia-x

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia X works fine for a short time. Basically like pulling weeds. A few weeks later you will have to do it again. Maybe sooner. :)

jammerdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper banded butterfly fish, filefish and 6 peppermint shrimp, mine was gone in 2 months

Majikou812

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so easy to solve this....get one copper banded butterfly and done deal!

MadCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia X works fine for a short time. Basically like pulling weeds. A few weeks later you will have to do it again. Maybe sooner. :)
Used to use it all the time but if you don't hit it directly in the middle I swear it releases spores and next thing you know there more aiptasia

tjnorthdakota

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody should figure out what salinity kills these buggers, then can remove fish and corals for a couple days, lower the salinity and hopefully kill them all

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hesitant to add a copper banded butterfly because I got my filefish for this reason and struck out, he doesn't touch it. I have thought about adding a 2nd but am afraid I'll strike out again.

Any other butterflies beside the copper band?

Anldyxp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, Berghias are probably the best solution. I don't know why some people haven't had success with them.

I had a huge(relative) aiptasia outbreak in my 16g cube and tried AiptasiaX, peppermints, boiling water etc etc with no success. All they did was multiply. I just kind of accepted the infestation and let them grow as they pleased. They were all over the display tank and in the rear sump compartment. I had always wanted to try Berghias but at about 15+ bucks piece and the cost of 1-day shipping, I could never bring myself to bite the bullet.

Luckily, I found a local breeder on craigslist that was selling them for 7 bucks a piece and willing to drop them off. I bought 5 of them for my 16gal, and in about a month they decimated the whole population of probably 150+ aiptasia from the DT and the sump compartment. The first night I added them to the tank I already saw them laying "spirals" of eggs. The tanks been aiptasia free for over a year now. Good luck!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back