Aiptasia

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've posted not to long ago about getting ride of some Aiptasia in my tank. And I was wondering if I would FW dip the rocks and kill it off that way? I have mushrooms on the rocks that have the Aiptasia on it. Or maybe removing the rock from the tank and injecting it with hydrogen peroxide or IPA? I want to use these rocks in the new tank that I am getting but don't want a massive infection of Aiptasia right at the start, or ever really. I have some peppermint shrimp in the tank and they haven't even touch the stuff. I've tried the stuff from Red Sea and it didn't do anything. So I was just wondering what my more extra options are to kill this stuff.

Thanks for all y'all help.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fresh water dip will annoy your mushrooms and won't kill the aips IME so hydrogen peroxide out of the tank should work, don't get it on your mushrooms.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend letting the rock sit dry for 3 weeks, worked for me all aiptasia died, you can try kalkwasser paste than expoxy extremely fast on the aiptasia but it will not look good for a couple months, everything else will just spread it, if you let your tank cycle get some berghia nudibranchs but you will need to keep putting aiptasia infested rock in your tank to get keep the nudibranchs full. There are different species of peppermint shrimp but the ones that are reef safe and eat aiptasias like low flow areas and no to little light (Or moonlight). Aiptasia eating filefish may work but you need to vary up their diet and they aren't reef safe, it could also take months for them to establish and eat it, copperband butterflys are very picky eaters but you can put one in (Depending tank size, 75gal minimal) buy you'd have to remove it and they have a chance of eating corals..

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend letting the rock sit dry for 3 weeks, worked for me all aiptasia died, you can try kalkwasser paste than expoxy extremely fast on the aiptasia but it will not look good for a couple months, everything else will just spread it, if you let your tank cycle get some berghia nudibranchs but you will need to keep putting aiptasia infested rock in your tank to get keep the nudibranchs full. There are different species of peppermint shrimp but the ones that are reef safe and eat aiptasias like low flow areas and no to little light (Or moonlight). Aiptasia eating filefish may work but you need to vary up their diet and they aren't reef safe, it could also take months for them to establish and eat it, copperband butterflys are very picky eaters but you can put one in (Depending tank size, 75gal minimal) buy you'd have to remove it and they have a chance of eating corals..
I’m thinking about spot treating with hydrogen Peroxide on the rock the has the mushrooms. If the doesn’t work I will order some berghia and add a few of them in the tank.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about spot treating with hydrogen Peroxide on the rock the has the mushrooms. If the doesn’t work I will order some berghia and add a few of them in the tank.
Make sure all of it is gone before you put the rock back in because some coral are sensitive to it, but it will kill all algae on your rock and keep the mushrooms moist, Goodluck with your issue! I saw aiptasia in my rock when I started and I thought it was cute coral. Lol big mistake.

OP
OP
Aaron88

Aaron88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure all of it is gone before you put the rock back in because some coral are sensitive to it, but it will kill all algae on your rock and keep the mushrooms moist, Goodluck with your issue! I saw aiptasia in my rock when I started and I thought it was cute coral. Lol big mistake.
I’m still trying to figure out how to keep the mushrooms wet. And how to kill off some that came in on a zoa frag.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other.

Back